American Association of University Women to sponsor essay contest for students

For the second year in a row, the Greater Rochester Area Branch of American Association of University Women will sponsor an essay contest for students to help observe Women’s History Month.

The subject of the essay, “A Woman of Importance to Me,” is meant to recognize women who have made a difference on a personal level or a larger scale.

Essay expectations

The maximum essay length is 400 words, and the deadline is March 4, with cash prizes for first, second and third place.

The essay originated as an eighth grade contest before being modified and offered to Oakland University students.

Essay submission is encouraged for both sexes. Boys have won the eighth grade edition but so far no men from the university have entered.

“Since our contests are open to males and females, we hope this helps students to think of the sexes as equal,” said Ruth Johnson, university liason of the AAUW Greater Rochester Area Branch. “We think it is important for both men and women to think about the impact women have in the lives of young people, as well as their contributions to the global community.”

To enter the contest, students can visit rochester-mi.aauw.net and click on “community.”

Staying involved

The branch of the AAUW stays active within the community by hosting events like the annual Sundaes and Science workshop, which promotes interest in math, science and technology.

In 1991, the group produced videos to introduce girls to women who are successful in career fields of math and science. They create displays at the Rochester Hills and Auburn Hills public libraries during the month of March, where they have also donated women’s history books.

The project’s past

The National Women’s History Project was founded in 1980 and has a goal which is similar to that of AAUW, to raise awareness about the importance of women throughout history and today.

The NWHP focuses on education and “a truly balanced and inclusive history (which) recognizes how important women have always been in American society,” according to their website.

How it all began

Women’s History Month began as Women’s History Week in 1981 when it was recognized as a ‘national celebration’ by Congress.

In 1987, the NWHP petitioned Congress to pass in to effect an entire month dedicated to women’s history, they were successful and thanks to them the celebration resumes every year.

Oakland’s Women and Gender Studies pays tribute to Women’s History Month with events, discussions and films about women’s empowerment.

The events begin March 2 and are spaced throughout the month.

For more information, visit www.oakland.edu/ouwgs/welcome

National Women’s History Month begins March 1, and International Women’s Day is March 8.

To learn more about Women’s History Month, visit www.womenshistorymonth.gov