Bear Lake not an environmental concern

Bear Lake has been a feature of Oakland University’s campus since 1966, making it as old as some of the university’s first buildings.

Despite recent attempts by student organizations to clean the lake, university officials said the lake is clean and possesses no environmental threat.

To clean or not to clean

The lake was originally named Beer Lake after a student tossed a beer can into its water not long after its creation, according to the Oakland archives.

The name was changed to Bear Lake soon after.

The lake has since grown into a runoff lake from local streams and storm water, according to Terry Stollsteimer, associate vice president of facilities management.

In recent months, members of OU’s green student org Save Our Planet Earth have proposed a lake-cleaning project to administrators but were denied permission, a source within S.O.P.E. said.

Stollsteimer said although it is a man-made lake, there is no reason for students to believe it is unclean or unsafe for local wildlife.

Linda Schweitzer, OU environmental science professor and water quality specialist, agreed with Stollesteimer and said the lake does not feed the waterways such as Galloway Creek, which is located by Parking Lot 37.

Passing the test

Schweitzer said the lake has been tested for trace elements and metals but “nothing came up as being alarming.”

She said there is no reason to do a chemical analysis because of the lake’s purpose and location.

Another point is the fact that Bear Lake is non-recreational.

“People only walk by and breathe the air around it, but do not recreate in it and do not drink the water,” she said.

The real issue: littering

Stollsteimer said the biggest issue regarding cleanliness is littering in the streams that feed into Bear Lake.

“We can always use the help to clean them up each spring and fall,” he said.

Contact Senior Reporter Jennifer Holychuk via email [email protected]