Contraceptives offered at Oakland University

By Jennifer Holychuck and Ashley Mohler

The movie “Mean Girls” taught us that if you have sex, “you will get pregnant and die.”

Fortunately, that’s only half true.

About half of all pregnancies in the United States in 2006 were unplanned, many of which could have been avoided by proper use of contraceptives, according to the Center for Disease Control.

Thanks to efforts by educators and the federal government, contraceptives are becoming cheaper andvmore readily available — students just need to know what’s out there and where to get it.

What’s a female condom, anyway?

There are more than 12 commonly-used forms of contraception, according to the CDC.

The birth control pill, often referred to as “the pill,” is the most popular form of non-permanent birth control. It is available by prescription, can be picked up at most pharmacies and may be completely covered by insurance depending on the provider and insurance plan.

The pill uses hormones to prevent pregnancy, and when taken correctly — this means at the same time each day for a complete cycle — is 91-99 percent effective at preventing pregnancy.

Other methods of hormonal birth control are available by prescription and include hormone patches, injections and a three-year hormone implant. These methods are also 91-99 percent effective.

The most common form of non-hormonal birth control is the male condom. Male condoms are typically made of latex and serve as a barrier to prevent sperm from entering a woman’s body. They can be purchased for a relatively low cost from most drug stores, and when used correctly, are 82-98 percent effective.

Female condoms are less common and also work as a barrier to prevent sperm from being transferred similar to male condoms. They are inserted into a woman’s body up to eight hours before intercourse and are 79-98 percent effective when used correctly.

Some of the most effective methods of birth control are intrauterine contraceptives, which include a hormone-free copper intrauterine device (IUD) that lasts up to 10 years and a hormonal intrauterine system (IUS) for up to five years. Both are inserted into a woman’s uterus by a doctor and are more than 99 percent effective. However, these methods can be expensive and may or may not be covered by insurance.

In addition to preventing pregnancy, male and female condoms may also help prevent HIV and other STDs.

Contraceptives on campus

Graham Health Center and the Gender & Sexuality Center (GSC) both offer OU students with options for safer sex.

The GHC provides condoms, vaginal rings, oral contraceptives and a patch form of birth control as well as Depo Provera hormone injections. They also offer the plan B pill as an emergency method of birth control for about $12.

The cost of oral contraceptives, patches and injections vary depending on insurance providers.

Patsey Magnan, Medical Assistant at Graham Health Center, said roughly 25 percent of students on campus obtain contraception from their building.

“Most people buying contraception from Graham Health Center live on campus,” Magnan said.

While Graham Health Center offers condoms in packs of 10 for $2.50, the GSC supplies their products for free. The center provides male condoms in various sizes, female condoms and dental dams. It is located in room 49D in the basement of the Oakland Center.

GSC coordinator Grace Wojcik said all students are welcome to stop by.

“Anyone can come to the GSC, take what they need and stay anonymous if they wish,” she said.

The Bottom line: safe sex matters

Wojcik explained that the GSC emphasizes the importance of using contraception, not only to prevent unintended pregnancies, but to avoid infections that can be spread through unprotected sex.

“Contraception and other protection methods are vital for college students,” she said. “Not only do we want to prevent unintended pregnancies from occurring, we also want to prevent STD transmissions/ contractions.”

According to Wojcik, unprotected sex isn’t worth the risk.

“Not all STDs are curable and some can affect you for life in a variety of ways like infertility, occasional outbreaks, or, at the most extreme, death.”

Contraceptive information courtesy of the Center for Disease Control and the National Survey of Family Growth.