Rocky brings wintry mix to Oakland County

2-27 local snowstorm

2-27 local snowstorm

The path of winter storm Rocky has placed Oakland County and surrounding areas under a winter storm watch since this morning.

Tuesday night has a 100 percent chance of precipitation. Oakland County is expected to get snow, but most will occur in a large burst. Heavy snowfall is expected to start at 8 p.m. and continue until 10 p.m.

Local areas are expected to have anywhere from five to six inches of snow.

Due to the conditions, Oakland University has the possibility of a snow day on Wednesday. Depending on timing, the school will consult with the Oakland County sheriff department and weather bureau.

The choice to close is based on road conditions and the safety of students’ campus commutes.

It is not possible to say when OU will know whether the school will close, according to Ted Montgomery, Media Relations Director of Communications and Marketing.

Consultation between the OUPD and the Vice President for Finance and Administration leads to a recommendation, sent to Russi for final determination. They aim for a 5:30 a.m. announcement at the latest, and students can consult the school website, or their phone if they’ve signed up for emergency alerts.

Students should check Moodle and their Oakland email accounts often for updates on the status of individual classes. Professors may cancel their classes or assign online work.

Wednesday has an 80 percent chance of precipitation, with the possibility for another one to three inches of snow. If classes are not cancelled Wednesday, students should still allot proper time to make their commute or walk across campus to their respective classes.

“If you know there’s bad weather, it’s important to leave early and plan based on the conditions,” Montgomery said.

Students with Tuesday night classes should keep a close look out on the weather conditions and allow for extra time to travel.