Comments (13)

All The Oakland Post Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• A

Avery S.Apr 25, 2024 at 9:28 PM

So for the record, we’ve established that Farooqi was caught in a lie about donating her scholarship? She refused to furnish any evidence that she actually donated the money. More dishonesty from Murryum.

Reply
  • C

ComeONApr 20, 2024 at 12:43 PM

Shameful hit piece. Accusing someone of lying about a donation, and then platforming it is ridiculous. This girl is trying her best to help students, yet, the OP seems to just want to tear her down. NOTHING will make y’all happy.

Reply
  • A

AnonApr 20, 2024 at 10:49 AM

Being angry about scholarships put in place two years ago is very funny. The OU administrators get huge bonuses every December, sometimes around $40K, and that doesn’t draw nearly as much criticism as some students getting a fraction of their tuition covered by their job. This is just journalistic malpractice at this point. It’s a hit piece taking the positions of the losers from the previous two elections thinly disguised as real news.

Reply
  • T

TruthApr 20, 2024 at 12:13 AM

It’s really disappointing how inaccurate the Oakland post has been. Is integrity optional these days? Also, Having your main interviewee who’s purporting to tell you what students don’t like about an organization, be the guy who LOST a student election for that position 2 years in a row is CRAZY.

Reply
  • A

anonymousApr 18, 2024 at 9:57 PM

For an organization claiming to support union faculty members, it is quite hypocritical that the OUSC president seems to be advocating against the benefits the AAUP has been able to provide professors and their families. Josh receives a scholarship due to the commitment of unionized OU professors (including his father) to teach their children for free. This means that professors like Dr. Kobus forgo some payment that they would be making to ADD a seat to their classes–to accommodate their children while avoiding restricting the opportunities of other students. Why should our hard-working professors NOT reap the benefit of ensuring that their children have access to a quality education?

Reply
    • A

AnonymousApr 19, 2024 at 11:31 AM

I didn’t get the vibe that OUSC is advocating against the scholarship Mr. Kobus receives. It felt like there were more directed attacks between the OUSC President and Josh Kobus. Factoring in also that the article speaks more about the Kobus Slate from the elections than it does about the OUSC response to the questions gives me the idea that the authors are preaching Mr. Kobus’s message for him since lost the chance at a position to do it himself. It feels very hostile toward OUSC based on the image it paints here

Reply
    • B

BarryApr 20, 2024 at 11:02 AM

I don’t think Farooqi is against the tuition benefit for children of faculty. I think she was accurately pointing out that Kobus seems fine with scholarships (that he didn’t work for) when it benefits him, but not fine with it when its through student Congress and is an wedge issue for his electoral chances. Both scholarships are from tuition dollars/state funding.

Reply
  • E

Evan BlanchardApr 18, 2024 at 11:28 AM

Good stuff.

Reply
  • E

Ethan Lehman-PaceApr 17, 2024 at 5:03 PM

Hey there, I did just want to say that the figure given for our yearly budget is a bit misleading. The semesterly starting balance is how much we have in savings plus remaining from the semester before.
    Let’s take summer to fall for example. In the summer, we had 130,000 in savings, and were granted 13k for our summer saf allocation, meaning we had 143k in the bank. We then ended the summer with 107k. This is not an additional 107k given to us, this is a part of that original 143k that just was not spent. Your claim feels misleading.

Reply
  • R

RoseApr 17, 2024 at 4:25 PM

do you have anything positive or even true to add or are you just gonna continue to misinform and skew things?

Reply
  • A

annaApr 17, 2024 at 3:52 PM

We get it, you’re anti-OUSC. Anything new (or factual) to report?

Reply
  • B

Barry, former studentApr 17, 2024 at 3:32 PM

What a completely delusional article. Should’ve noted at the start that OUSC never pays its members the maximums because it’s an estimate months out from the last paycheck. Also, many other universities in MI compensate their form of student congress with scholarships. Why not OU? If this was in place 10 years ago, Farooqi wouldn’t have caught any flak. It’s only because it’s new that people (only Kobus really) care. $2500 is like 1/6 of tuition and less than 1% of the total OUSC budget. OUSC employs like three dozen people, basically a campus jobs program, and spends tens of thousands on its projects. Be real.

Reply
  • C

CornettoApr 17, 2024 at 10:15 AM

Why didn’t the Oakland Post mention that their Editor and Chief gets a larger scholarship lol. Also the context in payroll being an overestimate should be where the payroll is discussed, not at the bottom of the article if you want to give your readers full context. That’s crazy how the kids whose parents have PHD’s and are teachers get automatic scholarships, but hate everyone else getting them XD

Reply