Wolf and Williford reflect on their administration

It’s been almost a year since Robbie Williford and Samantha Wolf were elected Oakland University Student Congress Vice President and President. The pair labored over decision to run again, ultimately deciding to challenge themselves to try something new instead.

“I know what it takes, and I love it and I could do it again. The question was, ‘Is this going to make me grow and learn a second year?’ I love to be in new situations. I always want to be learning,” Williford said. “There’s a lot of great things the people running are offering — why not give them the opportunity to do it?”

Before leaving office, Williford and Wolf sat down with The Oakland Post to reflect on their administration and offer advice for their successors.

1. Which accomplishment are you most proud of?

Williford: I wouldn’t say the thing I’m most proud of is any single accomplishment. In general, it’s the connections we’ve made …creating a great relationship with WXOU, The Post, SPB, SVP and Student Activities Funding Board. Creating the relationships has been the biggest thing — it’s the little things that make the biggest differences.

Wolf: I consider our greatest accomplishment to be forming teams within OUSC and the relationship that SAFAC has. I think that relationship is unique, and I hope it continues.

2. At which event did you have the most fun?

Williford: I had the most fun at the Washington D.C. trip. Even though I can’t sleep on buses and for some reason I wasn’t prepared and didn’t bring a hat or gloves, but being able to see the president — no matter who it was — was a great experience.

Wolf: The craziest thing that put me out of my comfort zone was an SVP shoot. I was Wonder Woman. It wasn’t my typical office structure.

3. What have you learned about OU?

Williford: The thing I’ve learned the most is how to be myself a little bit more. Even in this position, you’re supposed to be the image of the student body, and people think it’s all work, work, work and school and nothing beyond that. Sometimes it was that, I really had to learn to manage my time.

Wolf: I’ve learned what the administration’s vision for the future is. I find it exciting and I wish all students knew. Students sit here and make judgments about parking and residence halls, but they don’t realize all that goes into that. There’s things that have to happen If they were to see how the administration and the students involved have assisted in that vision, they’d realize we have great goals and dreams of being bigger and better than any university in Michigan. We have the plan — we’re just not there yet.

4. What’s the latest you’ve been in the office?

Williford: Mondays are really busy. I remember a few weeks in a row when I was behind on schoolwork and behind on everything. I didn’t stay the night, but it was about a two-hour difference. It was a Sunday night and I was prepping for the general body meeting — the latest I’ve stayed is 5 (a.m.), and I came back at 7:30 a.m.

Wolf: I’ve slept here. I keep a pillow and blanket in the office.

5. Do you have any advice for your successors?

Williford: The biggest thing to do is know that you can be yourself, while still being a student and being in this position. It’s okay to make mistakes, because we’re all going to make them. Being humble is huge. If you stop being humble, people will notice. Students will really shy away from coming to the office. You have to respect everyone — everyone’s voice should be heard the same.

When picking your team, surround yourself with people who differ in thought process. Samantha and I don’t always see eye to eye and those disagreements are how you learn.

Wolf: Find what you’re passionate about it and work at that. When you have the passion and drive to do it, you can accomplish it. Be true to yourself. There’s going to be times when students and administration give you negative feedback. You need to do what you think is best. People will recognize good intentions. Finally, do stuff for you. Robbie and I could have accomplished more if we had taken a step back and delegated a bit more.

More students need to be involved. I don’t think I was ready for this position when I got it. I had to grow into it. I wasn’t prepared, but that’s okay because this job helped me grow as a person. Everyone who’s involved has more opportunities to learn and grow. It pays to be involved.

Although they’ll be seeing a lot less of each other, Wolf and Williford plan on maintaining a friendship. They hope to do a radio show called Jumping Ship, schedule regular lunches and possibly train for a marathon together.

“I don’t think we’ll see each other nearly as much, but we’ll be connected always,” Wolf said.