Dr. Jane Goodall hosts lecture on campus

Dr. Jane Goodall, an ethologist, primatologist and conservationist came to the O’rena March 27 to share her lecture, “Sowing the Seeds of Hope.”

In her lecture, Dr. Goodall took the audience into the world of Gombe chimpanzees by sharing personal observations and experiences, ranging from her research work in Kakombe Valley in 1960, to current efforts in spreading messages of hope for the planet’s future.

While discussing the threats facing the planet and her reasons for preserving hope, Dr. Goodall encouraged the audience to do its part in making a positive difference every day.

“We have been harming this planet since I was your age,” she said to students in the audience. “But is it too late to change the course the world is spinning in?”

In light of spreading optimism, Dr. Goodall also spoke about Roots & Shoots, a program that elicits positive change around the world, environmentally and socially. What began with members comprised of 12 children in Tanzania, has grown into thousands of youth in more than 120 countries.

She also shared the symbolism behind its name with audience.

“I always ask people to imagine their favorite tree, and then to think about how that tree began. It began as a little seed. When that seed began to grow, little white roots appeared, and a little tiny shoot. It seems so tiny and weak, yet in it, there’s a life force so strong, so powerful,” Dr. Goodall said.

“That little shoot to reach the sunlight can work its way through cracks in a brick wall, and eventually knock it down,” Goodall said, “Think of the rocks and walls as the problems we’ve inflicted on our planet. Hundreds of thousands of roots and shoots, hundreds of thousands of young people around the world, can break through these walls.”

Campus connection

More than 3,000 people of all ages were in attendance.

“It was truly an honor to have Jane Goodall come to OU. I loved how she talked about never giving up hope just because things haven’t been working out,” said Student Congress legislator Nusrat Zaman. “I also loved how Dr. Goodall’s mother was supportive of her as a child, as an adolescent and as an adult. I feel that parents, especially mothers, play such an important role in our upbringing and Dr. Goodall acknowledged that during the lecture.”

Following the lecture, Dr. Goodall answered a few selected questions, and was also available for book signing.

She concluded her lecture with her greatest reason for hope – that there is change.

“Everyone is wanting to make a difference. Hearts are becoming more engaged,” Dr. Goodall said. “It’s about understanding that each one of us matters. Each one of us makes a difference in this world every single day.”