Russi receives almost a quarter of a million dollars in deferred compensation

The Board of Trustees unanimously approved to grant Dr. Russi $225,000 in deferred compensation on August 12th at the Board’s last meeting of the summer. 

The compensation was included in the Treasurer’s Report that Vice President of Finance and Administration and the Treasurer to the Board of Trustees, John Beaghan, presented. The report also included the capital debt and the construction report, but it was minimally discussed. The Board passed the report unanimously and did not open the floor for further discussion.

New Business School Dean

The Board appointed Dr. Michael Mazzeo as the Dean of Oakland’s School of Business Administration. He will start his duties on Thursday, August 15th.

Mazzeo comes from a host of titles at Michigan State University, most recently serving as Associate Dean to The Broad College of Business. The college is one of the largest undergraduate business programs in the world, with an enrollment of more than 5,000 students.

Board member Ronald Robinson spoke on his enthusiasm for the new dean, as well as aspirations for the future.

“I’m very excited about the possibilities that [Mazzeo] represents,” said Robinson. “And as a CPA [certified public accountant] and business school grad, I think I can say that this school has a tremendous opportunity with him as dean, and I’m looking forward to it.”

On his appointment, Mazzeo spoke about his plans for the future, as well the opportunities offered by OU’s growing campus.

“This is a great business school, as far as I’m concerned,” said Mazzeo. “I think the faculty is outstanding, I think the students are topnotch, and think it’s on a very positive trajectory of where it want to go. And I’m just pleased to participate in what is a very positive future.”

Re-Appointments

Board Members Michael Kramer and Richard Flynn were inaugurated for another year as Chairman and Vice Chairman of the Board, respectively.

Speaking for Kramer’s reappointment, Board Member Monica Emerson spoke on her assurance of Kramer’s competence to continue to perform as Chairman of the board.

“I think that his commitment to this community, to this board, and to this staff has shown through his work, as well as to this university and certainly merits another term,” Emerson said.

Kramer added to that sentiment by sharing the passion for his fellow board members and the community.

“I look forward to continuing to go to these meetings, and share in the progress of this community,” Kramer said. “I’m going to look forward to another year, a successful year, with these board members around me.”

The next board meeting takes place Monday, Oct. 7 in the Elliott Hall Auditorium.