Comments (8)

All The Oakland Post Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• C

Concerned StudentDec 8, 2023 at 7:45 AM

It’s so disheartening to know this is one of tbe main reasons why I simply just stopped seeking help. I remember during the first year at college here I decided to go to their counseling center for therapy, and having to arm wrestle them for a meeting. After that, it was amazing, my counselor was so funny and emotional and helped me through a bi-polar episode. We really need to have more money into programs like this, because personally the OCCC was the only way I could afford high-quality therapy. Their required max of 15 meetings was just dishearting for me to hear just as I felt genuine change in my life.

Reply
  • O

OU StudentDec 8, 2023 at 6:03 AM

In my time in undergrad, I have personally known three OU students who have lost their lives due to suicide. All three were OU housing residents. As someone who struggles with mental health, I have tried and failed to seek assitance from OUCC. This issue has been glaring since 2020 quarantines. I wonder how many students need to go unsupported in their times of need before this issue is recognized.

Reply
  • O

OU StudentDec 7, 2023 at 11:24 AM

Thank you for sharing, Arianna. This is so important to call out!!

Reply
  • A

anonDec 7, 2023 at 12:32 AM

Let me hypothesize: could it be that President was too busy with towel-warmer emergency repairs? Don’t you understand how important THAT may have been?!

Reply
  • T

The Real YousefDec 6, 2023 at 8:50 PM

Surprised Glenn allowed this to be published tbh.

Reply
  • D

DebiDec 6, 2023 at 5:05 PM

Sadly, it is going to take not just one death, but several before our president concedes that something must be done. The question for the Board of Trustees us whether they are willing to risk the potential for *multiple* wrongful death lawsuits or not. My guess is that they will issue a few strongly worded statements and ignore it. “Screw the students, we have trees to cut down, buildings to erect, and rich peoples’ names to put on the signs.”

Reply
  • H

HypocrisyDec 6, 2023 at 2:04 PM

Yesterday our president called out her fellow university presidents for lacking moral courage. How many of them do you think are deaf to an issue like this on their own campuses?

Reply
  • F

FedupDec 6, 2023 at 12:47 PM

Indeed disgraceful. We should complain directly to Vice President Glenn McIntosh and ask for a meeting with him and the president. If they can’t find time for students (he will try to shield her from hearing from us directly), perhaps other media would like to hear about the failure to act.

Reply