Turnover and over and over…

OU is again looking for a Dean of the School of Education and Human Services.

Interim Dean Mary Stein has stepped down following revelations in The Oakland Press that she and education professor Timothy Larrabee self-plagiarized in science education journals.

The pair, along with a professor from Indiana University Purdue University of Indianapolis, published a paper entitled  “A Computer-Based Instrument That Identifies Common Science Misconceptions” in one journal. They managed to self-plagiarize when then went on to submit a paper based on substantially the same research to another publication, a practice which is frowned upon.

Provost James Lentini said Stein would continue to serve the University.

“As you know, Mary has provided valuable leadership to Oakland University in her roles within the SEHS and in the Office of the Provost,” Lentini said in an email to SEHS faculty on Tuesday. “It is Dr. Stein’s desire to return to the faculty to continue serving the university and our students. I would like to thank Mary for her dedicated work and accomplishments to further the mission of our institution, and I look forward to her continuing contributions.”

Stein will continue in her role until a replacement is named. She replaced former Dean Louis Gallien who left in the spring to take the same position at Appalachian State University.

She becomes just another name shuffling positions in a time of extraordinarily high turnover at OU. In recent months, Pres. Gary Russi resigned following the firing of his wife and former women’s basketball coach Beckie Francis amid allegations of emotional abuse and intolerance.

Also gone is former vice president of student affairs and enrollment management Mary Beth Snyder who retired at the end of April.

Lentini and College of Arts and Sciences Dean Kevin Corcoran are newcomers to OU. Michael Mazzeo who will leave Michigan State, will join OU as the Dean of the School of Business Administration August 15, pending Board of Trustees approval.