Perspective: Culture is abroad at Oakland for this semester

As we return to school this fall, Student Congress is in full swing. We have a very exciting semester lined up for students. All summer, myself along with the rest of the executive board, have worked extremely hard to make this semester an unforgettable one.

Working as the Multicultural Affairs Director for Student Congress has been a privilege. I encourage everyone to take leaderships opportunities like this while they are here at Oakland. This position has already given me so much experience. We are privileged to be at a University that offers so many student leadership positions. I’ve been able to plan events for the year that are different and will educate students in a variety of ways.

On Sept. 23, as part of Hispanic Celebration Month, partnered with many other student organizations, OUSC is bringing Alina Fernandez to speak about her life. Alina is Fidel Castro’s daughter and will deliver an insightful inside scoop about Cuba along with her view on her father. This event will take place at 7 p.m. in the Varner Recital Hall. Make sure you get there early because seating is limited!

On Oct. 28, student congress will have their Halloween event partnered with The Honors College, I.A.O. and SPB. There will be a haunted house outside between the OC and Bear Lake. Afterwards, stop by Gold Rooms B and C to learn a little about Halloween around the world and have some snacks.

Lastly, on Nov. 14, along with SPB and Phi Sigma Sigma, we will be holding a World’s Fair.  This event will be at 7pm in the Banquet Rooms in the Oakland Center. Come eat some international food, watch the performers, get a henna tattoo, play some games and win some great prizes.

Having multicultural events here at Oakland is so important. These events help celebrate what makes us different, and in doing so, make our community closer knit. Without all of our differences, the world would be a pretty boring place. So take a chance and come out to some of our multicultural events this semester.  Challenge yourself to become educated about the people around you. I promise it will be worth it, and you’ll learn something along the way.

As always, all of our events are free and open to all Oakland University students. If you are at all interested in being involved in Student Congress, our meetings are Monday’s at 4 p.m. in the Oakland Room. Come stop in and see what this organization has to offer you.