OUSC election: Meet the candidates

Election season is underway at Oakland University as many hopeful students have begun their respective campaigns for positions in the OU Student Congress. Read on to learn more about the candidates running for executive board and legislative seats.

Presidential/vice presidential slates

There are three presidential/vice presidential slates running in the 2023 OUSC election. 

The first slate of candidates consists of presidential candidate Josef Gocjaj, vice presidential candidate Amir Mitchell, speaker candidate Ethan Lehman-Pace and legislator candidate Jimena Garcia.

The Gojcaj-Mitchell Slate is running on the campaign slogan “Stronger Together,” a succinct description of their main priority; uplifting the student body by improving their college experience. The candidates intend to support student organizations by listening to student feedback and acting upon concerns.

“When we communicate with organizations, we are consistently hearing complaints about the Student Activities Funding Board’s confusing or potentially misapplied rules and regulations,” Gojcaj said in his presidential platform statement. “To mitigate problems and barriers for student organizations, we are committed to reforming the SAFB by-laws to further ensure transparency, clarity and funding for student clubs and events.”

Learn more about the Gojcaj-Mitchell Slate by following their campaign Instagram @stronger.together.oakland.

The second slate of candidates consists of presidential candidate Murryum Farooqi, vice presidential candidate Maris Ferguson and speaker candidate Emma Garrett.

The Farooqi-Ferguson Slate is running on the campaign slogan “Let’s Keep Moving Forward.” The all-female group is running on numerous initiatives, promising to protect students’ wallets, rights, voices and especially the health and safety of all Golden Grizzlies.

“With extensive experience comes extensive knowledge,” the Farooqi Ferguson platform statement reads. “We know what works, what’s realistic and what will keep us moving forward.”

Stay up-to-date with the Farooqi-Ferguson Slate by following their campaign Instagram @farooqiferguson.

The third presidential slate includes Joshua Kobus. The Kobus Slate is running its campaign on sustainability, financial support and ethics. 

One of Kobus’s major initiatives is championing a clear separation between SAFB and OUSC to eliminate conflict of interest concerns in regard to student organization financial requests.

“I would like to separate the funding board (SAFB) from the OUSC to ensure that no student organizations have financial favor at the expense of others,” Kobus said. “All student organizations deserve perfectly fair funding.”

To learn more about each candidate’s goals and initiatives, read the presidential/vice presidential election platforms by clicking this link.

Legislative Candidates

There are sixteen candidates running in the 2023 OUSC election. These candidates include Alex Verzillo, Matthew Staley, Darnell Sumpter Jr., Tyler Wykhuis, J. Cooper Smith, Lucas Sinistaj, Mohammed Salman, Ryan Olds, Victoria Ouding, Travis Palmer, Lance Markowitz, Daniela Meson De La Fuente, Nick Mumby, Jason Jimenez, Meron Eeso and Zohab Ali.

To learn more about each candidate’s goals and initiatives, read the legislator election platforms by clicking this link. Votes will be cast for all positions from April 3-5.

For more information on OUSC elections, please contact Elections Commission Chair Chiara Nava via email at [email protected]. For timely updates on all election matters, follow OUSC on their Instagram @ouscofficial.