Number of campus clubs increases

It’s a new year at Oakland University, and with every new year comes a variety of new student activities and organizations.

This year, there are more than 20 new clubs and organizations at OU, according to the Center for Student Activities and Leadership Development.

Getting spooky

One such club is the Ghost Hunters of OU.

The club has had three meetings so far, according club founder, Ryan Hole. There are five permanent members, but plenty have expressed interest in joining.

“We’re a service-based club that offers no-cost paranormal counseling for those who think they need it,” Hole said. “We’re investigating for them and presenting what we find.”

Hole said the idea is to give clients a chance at peace of mind, as opposed to proving or disproving anything.

Hole said 90 percent of hauntings are natural phenomena, and they’re more interested in the people.

For now, the GHOU is trying to put out advertisements as well as create a club telephone system. It is also planning to build repertoire and credibility by visiting locally known sites of paranormal activity.

“We’re trying to present ourselves in a more professional manner,” Hole said. “We’re looking for dedicated members.”

Meetings are held every Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. in the Oakland Center. Students are advised to check the weekly schedules set up in the OC to find which room the meeting will be held in.

Unleashing creativity

Another new organization is the Creative Writing Club of OU.

President Zachary Guida said although CWC has just started, there is already an organized executive board and more than 50 members.

The club has a group on Facebook and is using an interactive website that allows students to post stories and receive feedback at any time, according to Guida.

It is also planning events such as a Halloween bonfire and a Yates Cider Mill trip, which will include group writing activities.

When regular general meetings are planned, Guida said the goal is to have a council of people where everyone can come in, share ideas and is on an equal playing field.

Guida also mentioned how the group is willing to accept any form of writing.

“Whatever you want to write, bring it and we’ll talk about it,” Guida said. “Don’t let anyone else tell you what to write. Write what’s in the heart.”

The CWC is open to all majors.

Saving the world

One new OU organization has goals that go far beyond campus life.

Molly Bruner is the president and founder of Let’s Change India 2014 at Oakland University, an organization dedicated to raising money for an Indian orphanage that will house 12 of India’s 25 million orphans.

The home, to be opened in December 2014, will cost $15,000. Bruner said she is halfway to that goal.

It all started in December 2011, when Bruner discovered Angel House, a nonprofit organization that funds the building of orphanages, wells and churches in India. She dropped everything and went with Angel House on a 10-day mission trip.

Bruner said the trip was a huge shock.

“They (the children) had been living in packs on the street basically,” Bruner said. “Nobody loves them. After coming home I knew that I had to fund one of these homes.”

Bruner began fundraising immediately — recent activities include a car wash, speaking at different churches and coffee days at Caribou Coffee.

An on-campus, black-tie event is currently being planned for some time in March.

Bruner said she recently registered the project at OU because she felt it was a great way to spread the word and awareness. There are about 10 people she considers to be members.

“We are always looking for volunteers,” Bruner said. “Help save these kids and give them a change to get out of poverty.”

Discover more about OU’s various clubs at http://www.oakland.edu/safb/directory or by emailing [email protected]