Grizzfit club keeps growing

A program that started eight months ago with 10 members working out three times a week has grown into one of the most beneficial clubs on campus.

Grizzfit is at 50 members and counting. With 10 workouts a week — two per weekday — members can build endurance and strength when it is convenient for them, while being involved on campus. Members keep a journal with their workouts and their weights used for each session. Every time they go back to those workouts, they try to beat their time and weight.  

“Grizzfit is pretty much (cross-training), and what that is is cross function fitness,” Club President Joey Touchman said. “(Cross-training), in general, is a completely different thing. It’s new and it hasn’t been around that long. A lot of people haven’t known about it and now it’s taking a different approach. It’s kind of like P90X, but it ends up lasting a lot longer. A lot of the military training has adapted from (cross-training.) Everyone’s doing it because it’s really effective. Everything is fast pace. You’re going fast for short and long amounts of time. Workouts can last from four minutes to an hour and a half long. It varies, but you are constantly going.”

Alexander Numan started Grizzfit last year with a couple of his friends, including Touchman. Prior to the idea of Grizzfit, Touchman had been doing (cross-training) for about $150 a month. Grizzfit allowed him to train for $40 a month.

Members like Sarah Carson that started their fitness programs shortly after the début of Grizzfit have lost weight and began creating a healthy lifestyle for themselves.

“I just really just wanted to better myself, and better my health. Since (March), I’ve lost 45 pounds and now I’m the vice president,” Carson said.

This cross-training team has come so far since they began in February. With members constantly beating their own personal weight records and winning competitions as a group, Grizzfit keeps growing and will never stop, according to Touchman.  

“We’re the club that meets four times a week when other clubs only meet like once or twice a month. Because we meet so frequently, it has really become more of a family,” Carson said. “We have competed in the Sweat and Steal competition (at CrossFit Deviate in Rochester), where we had two teams competing. One took first and the second team took third place.”

Grizzfit is always looking to expanding their number of members and help students become healthy. If you are interested in joining, you can contact Touchman 248-860-2015 or Carson 248-342-8636.

“In my opinion, if you really just want to better your health and your involvement on campus, being we’re the club that meets the most frequent so if you want to better yourself in both of those ways it just makes sense to come out and have fun with us and meet more people,” Carson said.