How students can eat fresh on campus

Photo+courtesy+of+the+American+Heart+Association.+

Photo courtesy of the American Heart Association.

With the hectic schedule of a college student, it can be easy to fall into unhealthy eating habits. On top of classes, projects and tests, what a student eats might be the last thing on their mind.

For Golden Grizzlies, Oakland University students can rest assured that they can maintain a healthy diet with cuisines from all across the world they have to choose from on or around campus. 

Below is a list of local restaurants that students can dine at to maintain their health while maintaining their responsibilities. 

The Halal Shack, Oakland Center

The Halal Shack transcends cultures by combining Mediterranean, Middle Eastern and American flavors for those dining in the Oakland Center. They offer locally sourced ingredients, humanely treated meat as well as vegan and vegetarian options. The Halal Shack not only caters to Islamic dietary guidelines, but to those looking for a healthy option close by as well. 

Clean Eatz, 1194 Walton Blvd., Rochester Hills, MI 48307

Clean Eatz has an abundance of options when it comes to healthy eating, including a dine-in cafe, grab ‘n’ go meals and weekly meal plans. They use fresh, seasonal ingredients with gluten-free, keto and high-protein options.

Clean Eatz crafts nutritional products and fitness opportunities that meet the needs of every type of lifestyle, believing that personal wellness is not one-size-fits-all.

Tropical Smoothie Cafe, 1288 Walton Blvd., Rochester Hills, MI 48307

Bringing the tropics to the cold climate of Michigan, Tropical Smoothie Cafe’s smoothies, sandwiches, wraps and flatbreads are made-to-order. With vegetarian and gluten-friendly options, Tropical Smoothie is committed to sourcing safe and quality ingredients. 

Vandenberg, Hillcrest Dining Hall

OU’s dining halls serve cage-free shell eggs, certified humane beef patties, support and purchase from local farms and that’s only the tip of the iceberg. Vandenberg and Hillcrest Dining Hall also accommodate food allergies and have vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free food options.

The dining halls are also beginning to roll out the user and climate friendly Reuse Pass Program.

Chomp, 200 S. Main St., Rochester, MI 48307

Located in the heart of downtown Rochester, Chomp is a vegan, gluten-free and dairy-free restaurant that offers a wide variety of plant-based foods. Established in 2010, Chomp is also a family-owned-and-operated business that has a menu that’s primarily made in-house and features locally grown vegetables when available. 

Beyond Juicery + Eatery, 3080 Walton Blvd., Rochester Hills, MI 48309

Beyond Juicery + Eatery offers salads, wraps, smoothies, bottled juices, wellness shots and even an opportunity to purchase a juice cleanse package.

Beyond Juicery + Eatery is also committed to aiding the community around them as they collaborate with Rising Stars Academy, a school located in Center Line, MI that’s dedicated to helping disabled adults learn necessary skills to participate in the community. The school produces over 10,000 pieces of product for the restaurant monthly.

Subway, Oakland Center

Just a hop, skip and a jump away from Halal Shack, the Oakland Center also houses Subway where students can “eat fresh.” In fact, the chain restaurant came to fruition as a way to raise money for co-founder Fred DeLuca’s college tuition. With subs, melts, wraps and salads on the menu, Subway offers freshly made, convenient and affordable food.