Michigan fall and winter attractions

The fall and early winter season is nearly upon us. Some people love it, while others dread it, as it means we are beginning to inch toward yet another full-on Michigan winter.

Regardless of stance, most people will agree there is a wide variety of things to do which are hallmarks of this season and its holidays. Here are some activity ideas in the Oakland County and Metro Detroit area that can help you make the most of this time of the year.

Yates Cider Mill, Rochester Hills, MI

Apple picking, cider and donuts are a staple part of a Michigan fall. Before we head straight into winter, head over to Yates, located in close proximity to campus.

Items sold include cider, donuts, apple and fruit butters, baked goods, jams, jellies and preserves.

In addition to great treats and drinks, there are several stunning trails of varying lengths and views in and around the mill. A map is provided at this link: https://www.yatescidermill.com/trails-map/

Erebus Haunted Attractions

If Halloween crept up on any of you really quickly and you did not have the chance to do anything festive, you may have one more chance. Erebus is a four-story haunted house located around ten minutes from campus in Pontiac, MI. Nov. 4 and 5 are the last days that the attraction will be open for this year. 

As a warning, it is not for the weak:

Some things will grab you, bite you and fall on top of you! Then we’re gonna throw you in a room, slam the door and bury you alive! How long can you hold your breath? We are after all the best haunted house,” (Haunted Pontiac).

Let it Glow at the Detroit Zoo

Switching gears, on Nov. 19, a huge annual lights display at the Detroit Zoo will be coming back through Jan. 8 for a total of 35 nights. 

Guests will enjoy masterfully designed light displays and festive vignettes featuring millions of twinkling LED lights illuminating buildings, trees, sculptures and a walk-through light tunnel,” (Wild Lights). 

Additionally, this year will be the first where they have created a Wild Lights Lounge — “a festive oasis filled with holiday decor, live entertainment, bar services, s’mores and more” (Wild Lights). 

Tickets have been known to sell out rather quickly, so planning and buying in advance is recommended. 

The Rink at Campus Martius 

Also opening in Nov. is ice skating in Downtown Detroit at Campus Martius. Campus Martius is located in an area bustling with life, and it has become a significant part of many people in the area’s winter season bucket lists. 

On Nov. 18, the iconic tree-lighting ceremony will take place, marking the beginning of the skating season which does not conclude until March. The rink is open seven days a week.

Tickets can be purchased online or on site, and there are ice skate rentals available there as well.