Auburn Square Apartments to open in downtown Auburn Hills

A new $9 million apartment complex geared toward students is opening soon in downtown Auburn Hills.

The Auburn Square Apartments are located three miles from Oakland University at the intersection of Squirrel Road and Auburn Road. The complex houses 97 units, including eight different one-bedroom and two-bedroom styles, in addition to a studio apartment.

Rent ranges from $575 for a studio apartment to $1,400 for the most expensive two-bedroom unit.

The original intent of the project was to combat the over-crowded housing situation at OU.

When the builders first came to Auburn Hills with the project, it was due to the shortage of housing at OU and Cooley Law School,” said Josh Padnos, Auburn Square’s Project Manager. “So they went to the city and they came up with this plan. They had a lot of land available and said, ‘Why don’t you do it right here in downtown Auburn Hills?’”

The apartments are also open to the public because the Fair Housing Act prohibits them from marketing solely to students, according to Padnos.

Each unit comes with a washer and dryer, and water and trash is included in the monthly rent. Residents can work out in two fitness facilities on the premises.

Scholar Square

A new 233-space parking garage connected to the apartments offers residents free public parking.

The garage and the apartments are part of a new student-geared area dubbed Scholar Square, according to downtown Auburn Hill’s website. The square also includes the new Downtown Education Nook (DEN) where “students can come to study, research and socialize in a renovated historical cabin with modern amenities like free Wi-Fi and study desks/tables.”

Padnos said there are benefits to living downtown.

There’s a lot of activities to do — it’s very safe, secure and just a different feel, different pace from living just across the street from campus.”

The apartments are surrounded by restaurants, bars, a Chase bank, a Subway, and an ice cream shop.

To make downtown area more accessible to students, the complex is trying to work out a system so students can ride back-and-forth to campus.

We’re working with Oakland to even get the Bear Bus to make a stop out front,” Padnos said. “We’re also trying to work with the SMART bus and get them to make a stop out here as well.”

Grand opening

Delays pushed back the intended opening date from the start of the semester to mid-November or early December, according to Padnos.

Students and the general public can visit the Auburn Square Apartments and apply for a unit in person.