Registration rally! Class registration begins for summer, fall and winter semesters

Monday, March 24, marked the official opening of class registration for the summer, fall, and winter semesters for the upcoming academic year. However, as registration eligibility is determined by class standing and credits, not all students were able to register for classes immediately.

Office of the Registrar said graduate students were able to register for classes starting Monday, March 24.

When do you register?

Following graduate students, seniors with more than 120 credits and students pursuing a second undergraduate degree were permitted to register on Tuesday, March 25. Seniors with more than 90 credits will be allowed to sign up for classes on Wednesday, March 26. Juniors with more than 72 credits are eligible to enroll themselves in classes starting Thursday, March 27, and those with more than 55 on Friday, March 28.

Sophomores with over 41 credits could register for classes on Monday, March 31, and those with over 27 credits on Tuesday, April 1. Freshman with more than 15 credits can register on Wednesday, April 2, and those with less than 16 credits on Thursday, April 3.

All other students that do not fit into the standard categories may register starting Friday, April 4. Honors College students, however, are given special permission to sign up for classes on the first day of registration regardless of class standing.

Changes in physics

The 2014-2015 academic school year will also bring some new changes to 100-level physics and chemistry courses, according to the registrar’s office.

In the past, PHY101, 102, 151, and 152 (each four-credit courses) were combined with one semester of PHY158 (two credits) to complete the lab requirement. CHM157 and CHM158 were five-credit courses which included a lab component.

The 2013-2014 academic year saw the physics courses’ lab and lecture setup change to resemble the chemistry courses’. That will now be discontinued. Instead, the physics and chemistry courses will be separated into four-credit courses with one credit lab components. PHY101 will now be combined with PHY110, PHY102 with PHY111, PHY151 with PHY110, and PHY152 with PHY111.

PHY108, 109, 161 and 162 will remain the same as in the 2013-2014 academic year, continuing to be four-credit courses.

School of Health Science majors are permitted to take only the lecture portion of PHY108 and 109 if desired. Similarly, School of Engineering and Computer Science majors only are able to sign up for purely the lecture components of PHY161 and 162.

Changes in chemistry

On the chemistry front, CHM157, previously five credits, is now a four-credit lecture, CHM144, and a one-credit lab, CHM147. CHM158 follows the same pattern, becoming a four-credit lecture, CHM145, and a one-credit lab, CHM148.

Planning out classes ahead of time can play a huge role in determining whether or not a desired class is full when registering for the next academic year.

“This is the first year I wanted to be ahead of the game, so I’m registering as soon as possible,” said senior Mitchell Johnson.

However, some prepared students expressed confusion over Oakland University’s e-mail reminders stating that class registration wsa available starting Monday, March 24.

“I noticed that I couldn’t add classes first and that now I have to wait until the day of my registration,” said junior Adriana Lo Piccolo.

Monday, March 24, marked the official opening of class registration for the summer, fall, and winter semesters for the upcoming academic year. However, as registration eligibility is determined by class standing and credits, not all students will be able to register for classes immediately.

According to the Office of the Registrar, graduate students will be able to register for classes starting on Monday, March 24. Following graduate students, seniors with more than 120 credits and students pursuing a second undergraduate degree will be permitted to register on Tuesday, March 25. Seniors with more than 90 credits will be allowed to sign up for classes on Wednesday, March 26. Juniors with more than 72 credits are eligible to enroll themselves in classes starting Thursday, March 27, and those with more than 55 on Friday, March 28.

Sophomores with over 41 credits may register for classes on Monday, March 31, and those with over 27 credits on Tuesday, April 1. Freshman with more than 15 credits can register on Wednesday, April 2, and those with less than 16 credits on Thursday, April 3.

However, some prepared students expressed confusion over Oakland University’s e-mail reminders stating that class registration is available starting Monday, March 24.