OU plans to keep mask mandate regardless of county changes

Sophie Hume

Oakland University currently has no plans to lift the indoor campus mask mandate.

While Oakland and Wayne county, among several others, have announced plans to lift mask mandates in schools by the end of February, Oakland University currently plans on keeping its indoor campus-wide mask mandate in place.

“At this point, there are no changes in our policies,” said Ann Rayford, head of the Graham Health Center and campus pandemic strategy. “We will continue to evaluate the status of the pandemic and our multi-layered prevention strategy. Any updates to our process/policy will be communicated to the campus community.”

The university’s multi-layered prevention strategy for COVID-19 consists of the vaccine mandate, as well as indoor masks requirements and daily health screenings. 

In response to the increased COVID-19 cases due to the Omicron variant, the university elected to move most classes to an online format for the first four weeks of the winter semester. Since the Feb. 1 return to in-person instruction, the university has made KN95 masks available, and hosted three pop-up COVID-19 vaccine clinics on campus on Jan. 27, Feb. 1 and Feb.3.

According to the latest available data, there have been 608 positive cases of COVID-19 reported among the campus community since Jan. 1, 2022. Since resuming all in-person campus activities on Feb. 1, there have been 85 reported cases.