OUWB students received the largest amount of donor-supported scholarships to date

Noora Neiroukh

OUWB students at a White Coat Ceremony in summer 2021.

Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine (OUWB) recently awarded a total of $250,000 – the highest amount of donor-funded scholarships in OUWB’s history – to selected 25 students.

The endowment for OUWB’s donor-funded scholarships has constantly been on the rise in the past few years, according to Jeremy Jones, Associate Director of Financial Services at OUWB, said.

The donors of the scholarships include the Beaumont Foundation, Dr. James V. and Ruth Huebner, the Family of Dr. W.J. and Lillian Kemler, Ann Nicholson and the Schostak family.

“When I got the email that I had received the scholarship, I felt very lucky and grateful,” Holly Shifman (M4), a recipient of the Beaumont Foundation Scholarship, said.  “All of my classmates have done amazing things and I did not expect to be chosen, so it felt really amazing to be recognized.”

The Beaumont Foundation Scholarship awards students who have a strong passion for fulfilling the mission of OUWB through academic and extracurricular activities, highlighting leadership, community service, medical education, and diversity.

“I am so thankful to the donors who created the endowment for this scholarship,” Shifman said. “I feel so lucky to have received this gift and am very grateful that I can focus on school and community work and worry a little bit less about finances because of the generous contributions of the Beaumont Foundation donors.”

According to Shifman, this scholarship will allow her to continue to focus on school, service work in the community, and other extracurricular commitments without much concern about finances and further assist her in focusing on growth in these areas. She hopes to carry these projects forward throughout the rest of medical school.

Charlene Hsia (M3) is another OUWB student who was awarded the Dean’s Scholarship. The Dean’s Scholarship is awarded through the Beaumont Health Foundations, and it rewards students with a strong passion for fulfilling the mission of OUWB, specifically through championing diversity and inclusion.

“Honestly, I was shocked,” Hsia said. “It’s such an honor to receive the Dean’s Scholarship, and it felt like it validated the importance of my passion to engage in diversity and equity work within the field of medicine. I would like to tell the donors that it’s encouraging to see their investment in future doctors who will make medicine more diverse, equitable, and humanistic.”

Hsia said that the scholarship will directly support her with the medical school tuition, which is one of the biggest financial burdens for many medical students.

“It’s a relief to know that I won’t have to worry about paying quite as much for my medical education this year,” Hsia said. “This scholarship helps relieve some of that burden.”

Elizabeth Carlson (M1), received the OUWB Scholarship, which is awarded to students who demonstrate commitment to fulfilling all aspects of the OUWB mission and its values, including academic excellence, leadership in medical education and serving the community.

“I was extremely humbled and relieved to receive the scholarship,” Elizabeth Carlson, M1 student, said. “I called my mom right away—she has always been a huge support. The scholarship allows me to focus my time on school and to mentor the cadets in my military unit who also hope to pursue medicine. Overall, I think it encouraged me that I am on the right path.”