President Pescovitz gifts $1 million dollars to fund scholarship for future leaders

Noora Neiroukh

President Pescovitz presenting at Monday’s Board of Trustees meeting. Her commitment of $1 million is meant to help propel future leaders.

This past week, Dr. Ora Hirsch Pescovitz announced that she has gifted $1 million dollars to OU in the form of a scholarship that will be administered by the OU Honors College.

Dr. Graeme Harper, dean of the OU Honors College, told The Detroit News, “this magnificent new scholarship has the potential to change the world for the better through students right here on our campus.”

Over her tenure as president, Pescovitz’s philanthropy has reached a total of $1.78 million dollars since she began leading the university in 2017. Endowments to the university include the Malouf, Pescovitz, Ruchim Family Endowment for Global Student Experiences; the Rabbi Richard G. and Bella Hirsch Faculty Endowment for Racial and Social Justice Endowment; and the Bella Rozencweig Hirsch Endowment for Biomedical Ethics

The “Pescovitz Presidential Scholarship” is intended for high-achieving, creative and innovative students who will become the next leaders in business, civic affairs, and the community. Dr. Pescovitz hopes that this will assist in making OU the “university of choice” in the region and bolster community success.

“I want the most competitive students to consider Oakland University as their university of choice. I’ve given contributions in a variety of areas, but this particular gift is to attract the most competitive and talented and entrepreneurial and creative students who I believe will become the future leaders in our country through Oakland [University],” Pescovitz said.

For students entering/enrolling at OU starting next fall, this scholarship will be available to four to five students. In four years, the scholarship endowment will be available to 16 to 20 students annually. To qualify, students must demonstrate intellectual vision and creativity, an ability to solve problems and a commitment to improving their communities, according to Oakland University News.

For more information regarding the “Pescovitz Presidential Scholarship,” please view the following link: https://www.oakland.edu/oumagazine/news/president/2021/ou-presidents-1m-gift-for-scholarships-cultivates-next-generation-of-leaders-