The advantages of being OU alumni

Emily Morris

Many vehicles were decorated for graduation. All vehicles were facing toward a large screen, where all information and videos were shown in the fall graduation ceremony. All OU graduates receive a collection of benefits because of their time at OU.

Graduation is merely a month away for the class of 2021, and students turned alumni will find they still have access to OU services and gain some benefits upon graduation.

Career Services 

Alum will still have full access to career services. This includes one-on-one appointments with career consultants, where you can go over resumes and cover letters, practice interviewing or advice on searching for a job. 

Handshake is also available with career related resources and job listings available.

Benefits and Discounts 

After graduating, all alumni automatically become members of the OU Alumni Association at no cost — and can take advantage of the benefits and discounts.

Two dollars off the group ticket price on tickets purchased in advance from Meadow Brook Theatre Group Sales Office.

There is a discount on basketball season tickets through the Department of Athletics at Oakland University.

At Meadow Brook Hall, OU alumni and one guest receive $10 admission for general tours, $5 off special events (excluding Holiday Walk) and 10% off of museum rental. Visit Meadow Brook Hall website or call (248) 364-6200 for more details.

Bask in your OU pride by purchasing a license plate, and for every plate purchased, OU receives $25 and $10 for plate renewals. Purchase your license plate on the Secretary of State website. 

OUCU Affinity Card, cardholders receive no annual fee, worldwide cash access, great online services and a low interest rate. Alumni are also eligible for memberships at the Oakland University Branch of the Federal Credit Union, where they have access to competitive rates on saving accounts, checking services, mortgage and loan services.

There is a 10% discount on a Friends and Family membership at the Oakland University Art Gallery.

Oakland University Alumni Association members can get 10 percent off of non-textbook items at the Barnes and Noble at Oakland University Bookstore in store or online.

Kresge Library borrowing privileges include access to the library website and the online catalog is available to everyone remotely. E-journals, e-books and research databases are available on computers within the library.

University Recreation and Well-Being Center memberships are available to alumni looking to remain active.

Oakland University PACE provides a 10 percent discount to OU alumni, faculty and staff on the Project Management Principles certificate course. 

Literature to Film Book Club members read the monthly book before watching the movie as a group, and this is followed by discussions on themes, details and fidelity to the book.

Church Hill Classics Diploma Frames are custom-made to specifically fit OU diplomas.

Golden Grizzlies Getaways is a travel program exclusively for OU alumni. Enjoy the company of alumni with a knack for travelling. 

Volunteer Opportunities 

There are volunteer opportunities for alumni across campus starting with the Alumni Admissions Ambassador Program, Creating American International, Relationships Program, Commencement, Commencement Fair, English Department Alumni Mentoring Program and Golf Outing.

The Black Alumni Chapter is an unincorporated, non-profit, volunteer-based chapter of the Oakland University Alumni Association. Its purpose is to enrich and engage the lives of African American alumni, students and friends to promote Oakland University and promote a culture that advances diversity, equity and inclusion.

Young Alumni Chapter is an unincorporated, non-profit, volunteer-based chapter of the Oakland University Alumni Association. This chapter inspires young alumni to be lifelong Golden Grizzlies through engagement, community involvement, recognition activities and OU pride.

Oakland University Alumni Association Board of Directors (OUAA) serves to promote and advance Oakland University, and the board helps shape the future of alumni engagement at OU and strives to represent the entire OU alumni community.

Leadership OU is a program for undergraduate juniors and seniors. The program provides leadership, mentoring and networking opportunities for these students who are placed with successful alumni.

Walking across the stage, or attending a virtual commencement ceremony doesn’t have to be the end of your time at Oakland.