Growing pains: The Oakland Center expansion

A conceptual design for the expanded Oakland Center.

Editor’s note: The original version of this article stated ‘“There are plans to add a food concept in the game room, creating a new food destination in the building. We expect to retain billiard tables and electronic games in the space, and reorganize the balance of games in an adjacent area,” Miller said.’ while it should be known that Fekel said, rather than Miller.

When a student visits the Oakland Center (OC) during a weekday, available seats are difficult to come by. To seat the growing OU population, a much-needed expansion is pending approval. 

“The food court opened in 1996. Today, it is critically undersized. The food concept area is too small for the student population we currently serve,” Richard Fekel, Director of the OC, said. “As a result, the OC is a congested dining experience and is sub-par due to a lack of space and ease of service.”

“This is a realistic plan. The renders of the new OC are made, but right now, the plans are dependent on money,” Miller said.

If the plan goes through, the OC will be expanded outwards and upwards. According to Miller, the unused areas around the OC would be added to the building, and the banquet rooms upstairs would grow out with the expanding lower floor. She said that if the banquet rooms were to be expanded, the seating capacity would go from 600 to 1000 individuals.

Issues within the OC stem farther than a lack of seating. According to Miller, the conference rooms are always booked no matter the day because there are so few rooms and so many organizations in need of space.

“We always give student-run organizations a priority when booking the rooms, but they still fill up rather quickly. Most of the time, the rooms are booked an entire semester in advance,” Miller said.

Another issue, according to Miller, is the lack of a community feel in the Oakland Center. The pending plan incorporates some ideas of other universities’ centers, including an expanded game room and additional food venues.

“As students seek on-campus amenities and experiences to enhance their college experience, the OC needs to foster an environment that meets student needs,” Fekel said.

Along with entertainment purposes, according to Fekel, a meditation space and study lounges are a possibility.

However, there are some possible problems with the OC being remolded.

“If it’s totally redone, there’s a chance the OC would have to close during construction. Ohio State did a similar remodeling, and had to relocate all of it’s contents into other buildings during construction,” Miller said. “So that is a point of concern for the remodeling plans.”

Currently, the OC expansion plan is only in the conceptual stages. On the list of to-do’s, a plan for the Pioneer Food Court to be remolded has been approved to happen this summer.

Along with new food options for the fall semester, the area will be renovated for convenience, according to Miller. The food court will be opened, allowing better access to food concepts and improved speed of service. Each food concept will have a cashier station so no one has to get into a second line to cash out.

Bumpers should also expect changes and additions within the next few months.

“There are plans to add a food concept in the game room, creating a new food destination in the building. We expect to retain billiard tables and electronic games in the space, and reorganize the balance of games in an adjacent area,” Fekel said.

This promising expansion is still awaiting approval.

“The biggest thing we need to get the proposal passed is student support,” Miller said. “Everything is based on budget, and since it’s not an academic building project for the university, it cant get federal funding.”

Students who wish to help aid the OC expansion are encouraged by Miller to attend OUSC meetings and bring up the idea to gather more student support.