15 ways to gain career-related experience

On Thursday, March 12, Career Services and Second Year Experience (SYE) held 15 Ways to Gain Career-Related Experience, an event that taught students strategies to make sure they land an experience that will go well with their major.

Career Services specializes in helping students prepare for life after college. Through internships, career tips and interview skills, they strive to make the real-world transition easier.

“One thing I will say is that it is so important for students to begin looking for career-related experiences such as job shadowing, informational interviewing, volunteering and internships early in their college experience,” said Stefanie James, Graduate Assistant for Second Year Experience.

They also spoke about ways to use the Internet to search for career related experiences. Career Services emphasizes how important networking is and where to find all of the opportunities.

“There are over 250 student organizations on campus and joining one will definitely help to boost your resume,” Career Services Ambassador Bani Bordoloi said.

“I came to this event to find out more about the opportunities out there,” sophomore Wanting Yu said.

Career Services has more opportunities coming up for students to learn how to network, find internships, improve resumes and provide tips for interviews.

“Over 100 employers come to our career fairs,” Bordoloi said. “Even if you aren’t looking for an internship or job at the moment, it’s good practice to go to these events.”

SYE is a program at Oakland University designed to help students get involved and fulfill a successful semester.

Throughout the year, an SYE student receives information about major and minor explorations, career engagements, how to get involved on campus and ways to get involved in the community.

“Although graduating seems far away for first and second year students, the earlier they can get that experience, the better, and meeting with an academic adviser for Second Year Experience will help students navigate that process,” James said.

SYE wants students to be prepared with well-developed resumes and great interview tips that will help them to get employed in the future. They also make sure students are pursing careers that they really want.

For sophomores that are a part of the SYE, there is an event on April 7 at noon. There will be a Halfway to Graduation Celebration in the Fireside Lounge of the Oakland Center. Wearing a SYE t-shirt gives students a chance to win some OU swag along with free food.

For more information, visit Career Services in North Foundation Hall or visit their website at www.oakland.edu/careerservices.

Ways to Gain Career-Related Experience

Build a resume that displays skills and experiences

Do practice interviews (Schedule one with Career Services)

Develop great knowledge about your industry/field

Get involved with one of the 250+ student organizations on campus

Job shadow professionals or do volunteer work

Practice your elevator pitch (an opportunity to professionally introduce yourself in 60 seconds)

Attend career events

Join professional organizations on/off campus

Ask people you know for introductions to other professionals

Check OU Career Link and other online job boards

Explore company websites for openings and information

Use LinkedIn to find job openings and other company information

Utilize social media (follow career accounts and search with hashtags)