Election season in full swing

OU’s Student Congress election campaigns officially began the Wednesday before break with an election kickoff. First the vice presidential candidates, pictured here, participated in a debate. Last Wednesday, it was the presidential candidates’ turns.

The Student Congress election campaigns officially began the Wednesday before break with an election kickoff.

All three tickets — teams of a presidential and vice presidential candidate — attended, as did nine out of 19 legislator candidates.

Each ticket had a table set up and was allowed to distribute one informational item, such as a brochure, one promotional item, such as a T-shirt, and have one poster talking about their platform.

“They [were] able to present their platform in a more professional matter,” said Cassandra Hock, the administrative assistant of Student Congress. She organized the event and oversees the elections.

The following is a glimpse at each platform and what it covers.

Presidential candidate Nick Walter and vice presidential candidate Madison Kubinski:

• Change OU’s attendance policy so students can miss more than two classes without losing points

• Increase the number of outlets in the OC

• Expand buildings like the OC and Varner Hall

• Create a year-round program that allows OU students to turn in gear from other schools in return for OU gear

Walter and Kubinski are currently members of OU’s Student Congress and said that they feel their experiences will help them as president and vice president.

Presidential candidate Laina Townsend and vice presidential candidate Sam Harris:

• Expand the OC and add a back door to Kresge library

• Move all of OU’s student service offices to one building

• Host more tailgates

• Create student voice committee that would ask students what improvements they want to see at OU

Townsend and Harris are members of the Student Congress and feel their experiences will help them as president and vice president.

Presidential candidate Katie Rose and vice presidential candidate Layla Sizemore:

• Increase Rec Center hours

• Increase number of counselors on campus

• Increase student awareness of and involvement with GrizzOrgs

• Regulate the Bear Bus system

• Increase recycling and environmental awareness

• Allow more free prints to students

Rose and Sizemore are not currently members of Student Congress, but said they feel that their outsider status allows them to be more in touch with the student body.