‘Up-clown funk gon’ give it to you’

Hosted by Oakland University’s Company Class on April 9-12, ‘Up-Clown’ Funk was an original act choreographed and written by students.

Sophomore Margaret Hinckley was a student and actor in the Company Class that put ‘Up-Clown Funk’ together.

“Company Class is for people who are not in main stage shows. It allows us to join hands and come together,” Hinckley said.

Faculty advisor and director Anthony Guest was the head of the production and sought to run the process smoothly.

“We started in January rehearsing two to three times a week, and we began as a class and eventually moved to the stage. We were etching moments that worked well and keeping it going,” Guest said. “The scariest part of this particular production was that once the actors had practiced enough, no one in the class would laugh at the jokes anymore. We all really had to trust the material for its humor.”

The actors had to learn clowning techniques, which entailed childlike charm and clumsiness.

“Clowning is emotion at its core. It was [innocence], naivety and solving problems gracefully,” junior Brian Bieber said.

Guest helped the actors understand the vulnerability that comes with being a clown.

This was new to many of the actors.

“It was a good, extra opportunity and new technique, and it allowed me to meet some sweet people,” freshman Emily Brett said.

According to Guest, it was a great learning experience for all the actors. To learn how to act like a child while meeting the comedic expectations of the mostly college level audience is not a simple task.

“It was awesome and something new – something fun,” Bieber said.

The location, Lab Theatre, though small and tight, gave the performance a more personal feel.

“It was the only space available for this, and we worked with what it gave us. It was very intimate,” Hinckley said.

As for stage production, much of what was seen was crafted by the actors and participants.

“We did the work ourselves. We built from the ground up,” Hinckley said.

The show itself consisted of comedy throughout and a parody of ‘Up Town Funk’ by Mark Ronson, which brought the audience members to their feet to dance along to the beat.

Overall, the production was a beneficial experience for those who were in it and a part of it as well as an enjoyable evening for audience members.

“The red nose demands a lot,” Guest said.