America wants to ‘eat more chikin’

According to the American Customer Satisfaction Index Restaurant Report 2015, Chick-fil-A is American’s favorite fast food restaurant. 

Less than a week after the Supreme Court of the United States ruled in favor of same-sex marriage, the most outspoken restaurant chain opposing same-sex marriage, Chick-Fil-A, was named America’s favorite fast food restaurant.

Back in 2012, Chick-Fil-A President and CEO Dan Cathy made headlines for his outspoken comments supporting “traditional marriage.”  These comments lead to boycotts of the restaurant by many equal rights supporters.

Hungry Americans don’t seem to mind.

The American Customer Satisfaction Index released survey results last week naming Chick-Fil-A the most popular fast food restaurant in the country.  The food chain scored an 86 on the survey’s 100 point scale.

This was the  Atlanta based company’s first year on the list.  Chik-Fil-A has over 1,900 locations in 42 states. However, in the state of Michigan, there currently remains only one Chik-Fil-A. 

The restaurant first came to Michigan in 2002.  Chartwells included Chick-Fil-A in their 2002 foodservice bid as a part of Pioneer Food Court.  Richard Fekel, Director of the Oakland Center, said they thought it would be very successful here.

“Throughout the South, Chartwells found Chick-Fil-A to be an extremely successful campus food concept.  As a result it was believed the brand’s popularity would be successful at Oakland.  It quickly grew in popularity with students, staff, and campus visitors,” Fekel said.    

It has become so popular that it’s currently undergoing construction to become a full service Chick-Fil-A.  When it reopens in the fall, the menu will include breakfast and shakes.

According to Fekel, the restaurant draws many customers outside of the Oakland University community.  

“Due to the lack of the popular restaurant in Michigan, some patrons familiar with it drive long distances to dine at our Chick-Fil-A,” Fekel said.  “For example, last summer I spoke to an individual who drove from Flint just to dine at our Chick-Fil-A.”

Joining Chick-Fil-A in the top ten favorite fast food restaurants in America is only one other Oakland Center food court member, Subway.  Papa John’s did come in at number four on the list, however, Chartwells said goodbye to Papa John’s this year.  

The Top Ten Favorite Fast Food Restaurants and the location of the nearest to Oakland’s Campus.

1. Chick-Fil-A – The Oakland Center! 0 Miles

2. Chipotle Mexican Grill- The Village of Rochester Hills 84 N Adams Rd

Rochester Hills, MI 48309  2.6 Miles

3.  Panera Bread- Campus Corners Shopping Center

37 S Livernois Rd

Rochester Hills, MI 48309   4.6 Miles

4. Papa John’s – 1101 East Walton Blvd

Pontiac, MI 48340  3.1 Miles

5.  Pizza Hut Rochester Hills Plaza Shopping Center

1360 Walton Blvd

Rochester Hills, MI 48309  4.3 Miles

6.  Dunkin Donuts – 600 S Opdyke Rd

Pontiac, MI 48341  4.8 Miles

7. Subway- Oakland Center! 0 Miles

8.  Domino’s – 121 E University Dr

Rochester, MI 48307  5.4 miles

9.  Little Caesars 3020 Walton

The Village of Rochester Hills

Rochester Hills, MI 48309  2.7 Miles

10. Starbucks – 2546 N Squirrel Rd

Auburn Hills, MI 48326  .2 Miles