SAFAC organizations host dollar days for hurricane survivors

Hurricane Harvey, the costliest hurricane on record, decimated the city of Houston, Texas on Aug. 25. Just 10 days later, Hurricane Irma tore apart the Caribbean and was a category five hurricane that left many without power, running water and homes. Irma hit Puerto Rico on Sept. 6. There have been a total of 134 total fatalities as of print time. In the midst of this, there is a way for the population of Oakland University to help.

All of the Student Activity Fund Assessment Committee organizations: the Student Program Board, Club Sports, the Student Life and Lecture Board, Oakland University Student Congress, The Oakland Post, Student Video Productions, WXOU and the Center for Student Activities, will be fundraising in an event called Dollar Day from Nov. 20-21, 9 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.

All donations will be given to the Red Cross to help victims in the United States, Puerto Rico and the Caribbean. Each organization will be sending volunteers to tables in different locations all around campus collecting donations.

The idea is to have every student donate at least $1 for the cause, which could total to around $19,000 that could be given to the hurricane victims. Donating more than $1 is, of course, welcome.

Student body president of OUSC, Lena Mishack said, “SAFAC just wanted to find a way to give back somehow to the victims who lost so much.”