New sorority added to Greek community

With signs, free t-shirts, buttons and cupcakes at every turn, it was nearly impossible to miss the letters of the newest members of Oakland’s Greek community, Sigma Sigma Sigma (Tri Sigma).

From now through Oct. 15, interested Oakland ladies can apply to join the newest addition to the Greek community.

“After we had the opportunity to meet with the governing body of the sororities on campus, our organization was impressed by the students and the amount of service going on and we knew we wanted to start at chapter at OU,” Assistant Executive Director Lorin Phillips of Sigma Sigma Sigma said.

“Following submitting their application, new members will schedule a personal meeting with our team. We’re looking for women who are focused on leadership, academics, and giving back to the community,” Phillips said.

Tri Sigma’s main philanthropic focus is on Therapeutic Play, providing places for chronically ill children to play in hospitals. According to an article published on the Tri Sigma Foundation website, providing children with Therapeutic Play prevents chronic illness from hindering development as well as help the children understand their illness and decrease anxiety.

Oakland’s Greek community has shown a positive reaction to the arrival of a new sorority. “They’ve been so supportive, welcoming, and encouraging,” Phillips said. “This has been the Disney World of campuses.”  

For their first event on campus this semester, Tri Sigma will sponsor a week of service starting Monday. To kick off the event they’ll be bringing in Jess Erksom from Headbands of Hope.

“She’ll be speaking about giving back to the community and the importance of inspiring people to do it rather than making service a requirement,” Phillips said.  

Tri Sigma will also be putting on a “Sunshine Kit” packing Oct. 7 and 9 in the Lake Superior B room in the OC where 300 activity kits will be prepped for local children’s agencies that will let kids make their own coloring books or journals.

Tri Sigma will hand out their bids for the fall semester on Oct. 18.