Smokey Paws food truck delays debut

The truck will feature a variety of barbecued foods and sides, even having desserts. The cheapest option offered will be about $4, and the truck offers a couple of vegetarian options.

Smokey Paws, the new barbeque food truck previously scheduled to launch on Friday, Oct. 23, had to delay its soft launch as it ran into problems Wednesday with the truck not starting.

Mark McCormik, District Manager of Chartwells, said that the truck will feature a variety of barbecued foods and sides, even having desserts. The cheapest option offered will be about $4, and the truck offers a couple of vegetarian options.

However, students will be unable to use transfer meals at the food truck, because risks of the truck being too overcrowded with hungry students waiting to use their transfers. McCormik said that it was a feasible option in the future, if sales remain low.

The launch was canceled because of the technical failures that came with trying to get the truck ready for launch. McCormik said the biggest problems were being able to get the truck onto campus, and figuring out where to store the truck in the off season.

“Right now, we’re planning on storing it in the Facilities Building, but in the winter, it can’t be on campus, because the building is needed to store the salt trucks and other winter equipment,” he said, “and no one’s jumping on the chance to volunteer to store it”.

In addition, the food truck will be able to stop in three different locations — the triangle shaped platform outside of the Human Health Building, the grassy area by the University Circle and the area between O’Dowd Hall and the Athletics Building. The exact location of the truck will be able to be found via social media, McCormik said.

The twitter page, @SmokeyPawsOU, currently has 17 followers and will be the main mode of communication between Chartwells and students about the locations of the truck.

Frank Calandrino, OU student, said that he was confused on what times the truck would be running and why even have barbeque on campus.

“Barbeque is one of my personal favorites, and is an easily craveable food. It’s also easy for us to make using the new smoker we got installed into the Vandenberg cafeteria”, McCormik said.

He said that there is no official launch date, as they are pending more information about when they can get the truck fixed and when they can get trained on using the truck itself.

“It’s a long process, but hopefully we can get up and running soon,” he said.

Smokey Paws will close down when snow starts sticking, and will reopen before the end of the winter semester. McCormik said there is also a possibility for menu growth in the future, so students who find the current menu options limiting can look forward to limited time offers and new easy-to-make items being added to the menu.

More information about the food truck can be found on the truck’s twitter page, @SmokeyPawsOU, or at Chartwells’ Facebook page.