Campus Recreation welcomes over 60 vendors and businesses for annual Benefits and Wellness Fair

On Nov. 4, OU Campus Recreation hosted their 2015 Annual Benefits and Wellness Fair as a kickoff for open-enrollment. Gathered in the Recreation Center’s 3-Court Gym, Oakland University faculty, staff and students were given the opportunity to speak with benefits coordinators regarding specific packages offered and seek assistance for adopting a healthy lifestyle.

“This was my third year in charge of this event,” Stephanie Willis, Coordinator of Wellness and Educational Outreach for campus recreation said. “The campus recreation department works in conjunction with human resources to provide a one-stop shop atmosphere for faculty, staff and students to inquire about their benefits packages, services and support for health and wellness.”

This year, OU Campus Rec welcomed over 60 vendors from a variety of organizations and businesses within the surrounding OU community. Each business represented different areas of wellness and helped provide information and support for those looking to improve or maintain a state of well-being.

Sponsored by Orangetheory Fitness, the event offered free flu shots as well as a variety of GroupX classes, which were also free of charge. The classes were available for individuals at every fitness level. Attendees hoping to receive a flu shot only needed to present their insurance card from a wide selection of providers.

There were over 800 individuals who attended this year’s event, resulting in an overall 30 percent increase in attendance. This included approximately 150 students.

“We made the decision to open the fair to students this year,” Willis said. “Because OU has recently been increasing their emphasis on health and wellness, we are slowly trying to make this a student-focused event. We want to make sure that all members of the Oakland University community have a place where they feel comfortable to ask questions and get any information they may need.”

In addition to email blasts from the Vice President of Student affairs and advertising within the Recreation Center, OU Campus Rec partnered with OU Student Congress to help draw more students into the event.

“Student Congress was stationed at the event to inform faculty, staff and students about our health and wellness initiatives,” Katie Rose, Environmental, Health and Wellness Director of Student Congress said. “We also gave away water bottles, pedometers and held a drawing for OUSC gym bags in hopes that the winners would put them to good use. It is important for everyone to make health a priority. Having students talk to businesses that are focused on health and wellness can give them a pathway to work toward a healthier life.”