Striking a pose

By SHANEIA CALDWELL

Contributing Reporter

Fashion reached new heights while colliding with films during the “Hollywood Fashion Show: A Red Carpet Affair,” on Sunday Feb. 17. The event, hosted by the Association of Black Students, used fashion to demonstrate and celebrate cultural diversity.

“The goal of the fashion show is to promote unity, diversity and student leadership through fashion,” said DeAnne Whitfield, ABS programming Chair.

ABS has been hosting fashion shows since 2001.   

This year’s event was held in Varner Recital Hall which was transformed into a movie theater, complete with red carpet, theater lighting and a movie screen.

The venue was packed with students, alumni and parents. A total of 20 models participated in the show, according to Whitfield.

Each scene began with a clip from a film connected to its fashion theme.

“The concept is to connect fashion with films that are popular in the African-American culture,” said Whitfield, who acted as director of the event.   

After event host Dr. Darrius from FM 98 WJLB opened with remarks, the show started with the “Casual Scene.” A clip from “Two Can Play That Game” was shown and was proceeded by models strutting down the red carpet in denim and trendy tops as the latest R&B hits boomed through speakers, orchestrated by DJ Mo Beatz.  

The “Sleepwear Scene” was paired with the movie “House Party 2.” Pattern and character flannel bottoms of various lengths with matching tank-tops were the focus of this section.

During the “Business-Wear Scene,” models sported clothes that exemplified the proper way to dress when graduating and heading into the job market. The scene was teamed up with the 1992 film, “Boomerang.”

Women were dressed in simple black skirts topped  with white blouses and vests, and paired with pumps. The key pieces for men included slacks, vests, blazers and white oxfords, accented with a tie. The color palette ranged from white to black and to an array of greys in between.

“I liked the business scene, but I wanted to see more vibrant colors,” said freshman Marquida Rush.

The clothing was provided by Urban Behavior, 5-7-9, Vanity, Sanrio, Windsor, and Man Alive.

Several student designers’ works took center stage during the “Designers Special Scene.” Models carrying decorative handmade cigar box purses by Kamesha Cogborn, marched out in red artsy t-shirts by Jam Art, sashayed in Designs by Marcella and swaggered in Defined Clothing.

A clip from the Academy Award nominated film, “The Devil Wears Prada,” was coupled with this theme.

After the intermission, dancers from the FYI dance group competed with battling dance moves.

Over-sized jewelry, baggy jeans, graphic hoodies and printed T-shirts were featured during the “Urban Scene” after a clip of “Brown Sugar” was played.

A picturesque image of a beach was painted as models cat-walked to reggae music in tropical swim wear paired with denim and cargo. A clip from the movie “How Stella Got Her Groove Back” complemented the scene.

The models, who rehearsed twice a week for the last two months, were allowed a break from the red carpet during the Greek scene. Six National Pan-Hellenic Council organizations took the stage.

A clip from “School Daze” was shown and the Greek organizations strolled around the stage wearing Greek paraphernalia. The audience screamed and cheered for the sororities and fraternities.

The show ended as the models reemerged in elegant red and black satin gowns, big-night ruffled dresses suitable for a ball, and whimsical cocktail dresses fitting for a formal party.

The highlight of the final section was a strapless white puffy dress embroidered with impressionistic black flowers and a splash of silver sequins. The ladies modeling these evening garments were paired with gentlemen in black tailored suits. The final theme was partnered with a clip from the classic film, “Scarface.”

“We truly intended to make this event extremely classy,” said Whitfield.

The fashion show was part of OU’s African-American Celebration Month, “Reflecting Truth through the Understanding of Our Historical Inspirations.”