In Case You Missed It…

Basketball coaches hit the grill for Coaches vs. Cancer

Oakland University basketball coaches Greg Kampe and Beckie Francis will be teaming up this Wednesday, Feb. 13 to raise money for cancer at BD’s Mongolian Barbeque on University Drive.

As guest grillers, Kampe and Francis and their assistant coaches will turn up the heat as they grill food on the 2,000-pound, 600-degree grill, raising tips to benefit Coaches vs. Cancer.

Coaches vs. Cancer is a collaboration between the American Cancer Society and the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC), pioneered by former University of Missouri men’s basketball coach Norm Stewart. Stewart, a cancer survivor, started the program by asking fans to pledge money for every three-point shot his team made in a season.

The partnership between the ACS and the NABC began in 1993 and has raised nearly $40 million with the help of over 500 Division I, II and III college basketball coaches.

This is the third year Kampe and Francis have participated as guest grillers.

There are two seatings for the event, the first at 6 p.m. followed by a 7:30 p.m. seating.

Golden Grizzly women’s soccer nets eight signees

With the initial signing date for soccer recruits well underway, Oakland University’s 

women’s soccer program has added eight new faces for the 2008 season.

Coach Nick O’Shea will bring in defenders Jessica Conrad (Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Prince Andrew High School), Kenzie Timm (Saginaw, Mich., Saginaw Heritage High School) and Rachel Reed (Sterling Heights, Mich., Bishop Foley High School); midfielders Shannon Doyle (Lake Orion, Mich., Lake Orion High School) and Sarah Lynch (Mississauga, Ontario, St. Martin High School); and forwards Leanne Fomenko (Courtice, Ontario, Courtice Secondary School) and Amy Trendall (Sterling Heights, Mich., Stevenson High School).

Also joining the Golden Grizzlies is midfielder Deanna Colarossi (Burlington, Ontario, Notre Dame Catholic Secondary School), who O’Shea calls a “very talented versatile player who can help in a number of places.”

— Brittany Ochtinsky, Senior Reporter