Letter to The Oakland Post:

In regard to the recent increase in security measures to protect the administration (“Concern voiced over Wilson security,” Sept. 10, 2008) I can only say Amen! As someone who specializes in the history of terrorism I must strongly disagree with the AAUP, my fellow faculty, and The Oakland Post on this issue.

It appears that people are completely unaware of the tidal wave of attacks upon university administrators that is taking place in this country. Across America attacks by disgruntled boyfriends, parents maddened by tuition increases, subversive Venezuelans, and out of work members of the Irish Republican Army are depleting the ranks of our already insufficient number of academic administrators.

As the focal point for public and student dissatisfaction, these officials, who are unable to go out in public without being recognized must be afforded the highest protection possible. My only concern is that these measures do not go far enough. What if a group of terrorists gets a plane and plunges it into Wilson Hall? Are we ready? Lets put my good friend Mel Gilroy on the roof, arm him and his charges with anti-aircraft missiles or consider moving the administration into the Basement with a bunker to withstand a major blast.

We need this because as we all know that we can lose the faculty and witness the killing of the students, and all the lower level administrators (uh oh, no one thought about the deans), but we cannot lose the administrators. After all is said and done, students and faculty are not the university and while we can be sacrificed, without administrators there can be no Oakland University.

We who are about to die, salute you!

Sean Farrell Moran, Ph.D.

Associate Professor

Department of History

Oakland University

Rochester, MI  48309