Updated Address, in effect April 4

Starting April, buildings on campus received individual addresses instead of the generic university address.

Oakland University Chief of Police Mark Gordon released information about the new campus address system, which was put into effect on Monday, April 4.

From now on, each building on campus has its own address. Previously, everything was addressed to 2200 N. Squirrel Road.

For example, a student may need the address for Graham Health Center (GHC). Previously the address for GHC was 2200 N. Squirrel Road, but now the updated address would be 408 Meadow Brook Road.

According to OUPD’s website, there were three reasons for the address change: improve general public safety response, meet new requirements for 911 dispatching services and increase accuracy of maps and navigation applications.

With this change, emergency response agencies, fire departments and ambulance services will be able to report to the exact location of an emergency in a timely manner.  According to the website, campus visitors who aren’t familiar with campus will be able to use precise, locatable addresses in their GPS devices.

As of April 3, emergency service providers receive 911 calls but the calls are not as detailed as it should be.  Only receiving the 2200 N. Squirrel Road location has resulted in delayed response times in some cases.

The new addresses have been approved and documented by the U.S. Postal Service. Addresses can be viewed on the campus address lookup webpage.

Based on U.S. Postal Service guidelines, several examples of how university mail should be addressed are available on the Oakland University Police Department “How to Address Mail” web page.

“We anticipate a significant improvement in response times with the new campus addressing system.” Gordon said in a press release. “Part of this will depend on each campus community member taking time to become familiar with campus street names and with street addresses of the buildings they frequent.”

Those interested in more information should not contact the OUPD dispatch center because it may interfere with campus safety and security services.

Instead, visit the OUPD Campus Addresses page, which offers a New Address Checklist, contact OUPD’s IT Service Desk at (248) 370-3407, [email protected] or visit the Police and Support Service building.