Harness the ‘power’ of ‘networking’

By Dan Evola

Student Body President

It is hard to get a job in Michigan. There is no easy way around that, and I am certainly not going to try and butter it up. With countless college students taking out loans to make ends meet, it’s hard to grasp life after graduation with the uncertainty of the economy.

But despite the uncontrollable environment which we live in now, there are things we can do to give ourselves an advantage.

Next Wednesday, Feb. 18, the Oakland University Alumni Association in conjunction with

Student Congress, Career Services and the Future Alumni Network, will be putting on an event which can help you meet the right people in your field. The Power Networking Dinner will feature nearly 30 OU alumni from nearly every major career path, as well as a keynote speech from Denise Anne Taylor, professional development consultant and OU alumni. Alumni and students will be matched at career-themed tables for networking.

And best of all, the event is free to all students. It is the perfect opportunity to make business connections for future jobs, or even just speak to real professionals from OU. There will also be appetizers, dinner and dessert.

So what is the only thing missing from this event? So far, it’s the students. Currently the number of alumni registered to attend the event far outnumbers the number of students.

Perhaps you haven’t heard about this event yet. If that’s the case, you have just lost your excuse. Students will often go to great measures to ensure that they ace that exam or turn in those extra credit assignments, but the opportunities that our university offers are about more than just a grade point average. And after you leave this institution, these opportunities are not nearly as bountiful.

The Power Networking Dinner will be held in the banquet rooms from 5-7 p.m. and business attire is encouraged. I would strongly recommend that all of you to consider

attending this event. Preregistration is required and can be completed online at

oualumni.com, but it is quick and painless.

And even if you can’t stay for the full program, it is designed this year for students to be able to come and go freely, so don’t worry about missing your night class or work.

Whether you are a graduating senior or a first semester freshman, this is a great chance to connect with people who can help you in your career aspirations. After all, sometimes it’s not what you know, but who you know.