Professor Profiles — Terry Herald

By WIBKE RICHTER

Web Intern

While watching a movie, have you ever thought that the goose bumps on your arms are not just there because of awesome actors, a great plot or an impressive setting? Often, movie-goers and from-the- sofa-watchers are not aware of a film’s music which contributes a great deal to the success of motion pictures.

In his class, The History of Film Music, Terry Herald teaches students the effects of film music and talks about the work of major film composers from the beginning of sound recording to the present. Herald, a musician and composer himself, knows how a good film score conveys emotions in love scenes, punctuates suspenseful moments in thrillers or helps one scene lead to another. I learned things in this class I’ve never thought about before. This class is an asset for every movie and music lover.

Herald will present two of his pieces during the performance “Composers” at OU on March 15 at 3 p.m. “Nevermore – a Macabre Tale” was scored for a faculty chamber ensemble and will be a world premiere. The event at Varner Recital Hall is part of Oakland University’s Professional Artist Series.

1. What classes do you teach?

The History of Film Music (MUS 334), Audio Techniques (MUS 353 ) and The Recording Studio (MUS 354).

2. Who in your field inspires you to teach?

Al Yungton, my mentor from Wayne State University undergraduate days, always shared his knowledge generously and influenced me to follow his example.

3. What is on your reading list?

“Full Dark House” by Christopher Fowler, “Last in a Good Book” by Jasper Fforde, “The Hammer of God” by Bo Giertz, “An Examination of the Council of Trent” by Martin Chemnitz, and “Film Music: a History” by James Wierzbicki.

4. Could you describe what you do at OU in one sentence?

If the sentence has enough conjunctions it might be possible.

5. What is your favorite OU sport to watch live?

The basketball team is exciting, although I rarely am able to attend.

6. It’s lunchtime and you’re hungry. Have you packed your own lunch, are you going to the OC or are you ordering out?

Order out … perhaps the fish tacos from Fridays.

7. How is your office looking? In other words, if I were a student that had an appointment, would I be able to see around the piles of papers?

This depends entirely on the day, but I like to have a clean desk by the time I leave on Friday afternoon.

8. When is bedtime?

When I teach an early class, 11:30 p.m. is a good goal, although when I am composing I may stay up until the inspiration dwindles.

9. Where is the most interesting place your studies have taken you?

As a film composer, my trip the Munich Film Festival is one of my fondest memories.

10. What do you hope students know before they take your class(es)?

The ability to clearly communicate is fundamental, and everything worthwhile requires effort.