Necessary repairs?

There’s no doubt that Oakland University’s campus is continually improving. It’s evident in the reduced number of potholes. In the parking lots, the new tiles in O’Dowd Hall, and the new Human Health Building coming to accommodate the new medical school.

We appreciate these upgrades, as most of them lend to the quality of our educational experience. But there are still so many issues that we wish would be addressed, and many of them would have budgets that pale in comparison to what’s being done now. These changes wouldn’t cost the university very much, and would make an improvement.

Take for example the cement steps leading out of the lower level patio off the Oakland Center. They look like ancient ruins, yet the sidewalk leading up to the pedestrian bridge that just got a face lift had no apparent safety issues. And there’s a handicap ramp going into O’Dowd that doesn’t seem to be a part of the massive re-pavement project, but there’s a piece of lumber being used to keep wheel chairs from flipping over when making the descent.

The new tiling in O’Dowd Hall really freshens up the otherwise decrepit building, but there are gaps in the drywall around the elevator controls big enough to house a fat gerbil in there.

Ceiling panels seem to be an issue as well, as there’s been one apparently on back order for Vandenberg for quite some time now.

It appears that the university is trying to look more presentable for prospective students, but anybody who takes a closer look might wonder if it’s all just a thick layer of concealer. Then again OU is not heavily recruiting unemployed building inspectors.

We are sure that those making the decisions mean well, but they should realize that they’re maybe not the most informed people on the topic of what would make a difference in the day-to-day of campus life.

We think that the university should make more of an effort to take into consideration the suggestions that students might have. After all, we’re the ones walking from the far reaches of parking lot one, developing arthritis of the spine from the seating in Varner hall, and peeing in bathroom stalls with toilet paper jammed in the latch hole.

Accommodations are much nicer in the executive wing, and with their own parking spots cozied up to Wilson Hall, we don’t imagine the administration gets out and about quite as much as the rest of us.

For more photos of problem areas on campus, click on the Perspectives tab on Oaklandpostonline.com.

Submit your own suggestions and photos to [email protected].