SPB Laugh-A-Palooza to feature SNL alum

As part of their fall 2009 Programming Calendar, the Student Program Board will be hosting the Laugh-A-Palooza Comedian Show this Friday, Nov. 20. The event will be held at Meadow Brook Theatre from 7-11 p.m.

Event coordinator and SPB chair Jonathan Jenkins got the idea for the show from NBC’s “Last Comic Standing” and the Bill Bellamy-hosted comedy show on TV One,”Who’s Got Jokes?”

Michigan-born comedian Josh Adams will host the event, and contestants from Oakland University’s “Last One Standing” contest will perform. 

Noted comedian Finesse Mitchell is the featured guest and will headline the event.

Mitchell, a graduate of the University of Miami, was a featured cast member on “Saturday Night Live” from 2003 until 2006. Before his stint on SNL, Mitchell had been a crowd favorite on BET’s “Comic View.”

After gaining popularity on “Comic View,” he began making numerous appearances on “The Late Late Show with Craig Kilborn” and “Late Night with Conan O’Brien.”

This exposure on national television sparked interest from Comedy Central, which gave Mitchell his own half hour stand-up special.

Mitchell also won the 2008 African-American Literary Award for his dating advice book, “Your Girlfriends Only Know So Much: A Brother’s Take on Dating and Mating.”

While he no longer works on SNL, Mitchell’s comedic range has kept him busy on the stand-up circuit. His impersonations, ranging from 50 Cent to Morgan Freeman to Donavon McNabb, are just one aspect of his comedy that has allowed him to continue selling out comedy events.

Joining Mitchell on the mic is comedian Josh Adams. Hailing from Detroit, the 25-year-old funnyman cites Richard Pryor and Redd Foxx as two of his main influences in comedy. 

In addition to stand-up, Adams hopes to one day become a radio personality, combining his love of music and his ability to make people laugh.

The two finalists for the student contest, Aaron Hill and Gabe Dubrille, will be competing for the title of “Last One Standing.”

“My idea for doing this contest came about when I saw the contestants every Thursday in Vandenberg Hall for their open mic nights,” Jenkins said. “I realized that we have great talent on our campus; why not showcase that talent to the community?”

Jenkins is hoping that this event will give students an entertaining night and a chance to see some quality stand-up comedy from veterans and amateurs alike.

“I want people to come, have a good laugh, and see a comedian that has been on TV and movies in real life,” Jenkins said. “We’re also giving out prizes at the event, so you won’t want to miss that either.”

Tickets are available for purchase in the Center for Student Activities office. They are free for students and $5 for guests.