Oakland loses 11-5 to Eastern after late game slip

Oakland baseball (20-22,10-10) lost 11-5 as Eastern Michigan hit three home runs Tuesday, May 10.

This was the Golden Grizzlies’ fourth loss in a row and their fourth game in three days. Nine remain in the regular season.

“We’re coming down to the home stretch,” senior Mike Brosseau said. “Come tournament time we’ve got to be playing our best ball. I think these games give people an opportunity to prove themselves, make their way into the lineup. We’re starting to see who can really play, who can really help out this team a lot.”

Junior Connor Fannon, who had pitched 5 ⅓ innings on the season, got the start for the Golden Grizzlies and pitched 3 ⅔. He allowed four hits and two earned runs.

EMU got up 1-0 in the second on a solo shot.

Oakland was down 2-0 in the fifth when EMU’s starter Brent Mattson walked redshirt senior Brett Impemba with bases loaded.

Then redshirt sophomore Ben Hart hit a two-run single up the middle. Oakland up 3-2 after five.

In the sixth, Golden Grizzly freshman Myles Zilinsky reached home on a ground ball from freshman Ryan Fitzgerald. Oakland up 4-2.

EMU responded strongly in the seventh with an RBI single. Then freshman John Rensel Jr. hit a three-run homer over the left field wall. EMU up 6-4.

EMU homered again to left center in the eighth and nearly batted around in the ninth to increase their lead to 11-5.

Oakland had one man on in the ninth but did not convert.

Stats spotlight

Mike Brosseau batted 2-for-4 with two runs.

Zach Sterry batted 3-for-5 with one run.

Junior Tyler Pagano batted 2-for-4 with one run. 

Ben Hart had two RBIs.

Impemba, Fitzgerald and senior Ian Yetsko had one RBI.

Oakland’s starter Fannon pitched 3 ⅔ and gave up four hits and two earned runs. Nate Schweers gave up three hits and six runs (two of them earned) in 1 ⅔. 

EMU’s starter Brent Mattson pitched 5 ⅓ and gave up seven hits and four runs. He walked five.

Oakland plays Western Michigan at home at 3 p.m. ET on Wednesday, May 11. Watch on ESPN3.