Let’s recycle these rags; Spending $42 for cap and gown doesn’t fit philosophies at OU

Hoards of hopeful graduates poured into the bookstore Tuesday to buy their caps and gowns during the graduation fair that continues through March 10.

Forking out an extra $42 for a one-time-use, mandatory cap and gown doesn’t accurately symbolize this momentous occasion for Oakland University students.

We’re used to this image of an all-inclusive and environmentally conscious experience, and frankly, kind of wish that extended to caps and gowns.

Having to buy a black synthetic potato sack — err, “regalia” — for this one day just trashes the concepts of a no fee system and a sustainable future ingrained here at OU.

Commencement is a culmination of years of hard work and huge tuition bills, in exchange for the promise that our education will last a lifetime.

Understandably, it is tradition to wear a cap and gown and to have a tassel dangle in your face. The wardrobe does pull together the atmosphere.

That being said, there’s no reason we can’t incorporate our existing philosophies at OU into how we dress for commencement.

This editorial is a call to action for students to come together and find a way to reuse this garb, starting with the estimated 2,000 students to graduate May 1. With a few individuals willing to pitch in, we can create a program to save the closets of Southeast Michigan from the burden of stashing roughly $168,000 worth of caps and gowns annually from OU’s graduates.

We need a couple bright minds willing to work out the logistics and to carry this through, so graduates willing to donate their cap and/or gown won’t be doing so for nothing.

We need a place to store the gowns safely between commencements, an inventory system and a dry cleaning facility willing to clean and press the gowns at a really good price to which we can send students.

If you’re interested in helping, e-mail The Post editors at [email protected]. If you’re graduating, you can clean your gown and turn it in at or outside of 61 Oakland Center, to be one of the first to be recycled at OU.

This is the kind of legacy seniors should be leaving behind.