Workshop to combat ‘senioritis’

On Thursday, April 1, Oakland University’s Center for Student Activities, Student Congress and Pi Sigma Alpha fraternity will be sponsoring a workshop designed to help motivate students for the last few weeks of the semester.

“It’s going to be kind of like an all-day event of motivating and taking care of yourself,” said the CSA’s Janelle Arbuckle, one of the event’s organizers.

The first part of the event that is open to all students will be from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Fireside Lounge.

“If you’re an underclassman, we really just kind of want to keep you motivated,” Arbuckle said. “The sun starts shining and it gets warmer out and it’s just a lot harder to focus. It’s really hard not to think of summer.”

The second session, the Senior Send Off dinner, will take place from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. in the Oakland Center’s Banquet Room A.

This session is open to seniors only, and space is limited to the first 150 students who sign up at the CSA office in the Oakland Center.

“Anybody who’s at senior status, doesn’t matter if you’re graduating next year, or two years from now, everyone needs a little bit of motivation, especially seniors graduating May 1,” Arbuckle said. “That’s really what we want to do is just give everybody that extra push just to finish off really strong.”

According to Arbuckle, both sessions will feature renowned motivational speaker Michael Miller.

Miller’s website describes his method of motivating people as a mixture of humor and passion.

“He was talking with us today and we can tell he’s already going to be goofy,” Arbuckle said. “He’s definitely going to whip us all into shape is what he said.”

Both sessions are free to students. Free food will be provided.