Here, there, and everywhere

Barney always said “sharing is caring.”

The campus community must certainly share all resources on campus, but we’re talking about one in particular.

The big, purple dinosaur would definitely not agree with the way the purple communal bikes available on campus are being treated.

Why the reference to a television show we each probably watched in Kindergarten? It’s a much-needed reminder that even though we are at an institution of higher learning, some of us have still not learned the simple lesson.

Why is it so difficult to treat objects given to us with care? We refuse to believe the brand-new cruisers distributed through OU Bike Share are so shoddily made that they fell apart in a matter of days.

Brett McIsaac, OU Student Congress Student Services Director, warns that what we have is all we’re going to get.

“If we buy 16 new bikes and they get destroyed, we are not going to replace them,” McIsaac said. “…Best thing to do is respect the bike.”

If they do break, don’t ditch them at the most convenient place — one bike was found in Beer Lake earlier this year. It’s unacceptable to not at least limp them to the nearest bike rack.

There are channels in place to maintain the bikes. Equipment failures can be reported to OU Bike Share at 248-370-4888.

When reporting, be sure to include the bike’s identifying number, which is located at the back, and its location.

If they are not broken, follow the simple rules given out by office of student affairs and the Oakland University Student Congress regarding bike care.

– Use of bicycles is limited to the Oakland University Main Campus

– Use of bicycles is at the risk of the individual

– Reckless behavior, unsafe speed or stunts are prohibited

– Destruction and abuse of bicycles is prohibited

– Bicycles should be parked in designated bike racks

– OU Bike Share equipment is available on a first come, first serve basis; equipment cannot be reserved

From what we’ve seen, campus — from the student apartments to Pawley Hall, and beyond — has been turned into an OU Bike Share graveyard, as the above photo illustrates.

So next time you ride an OU Bike Share bike, we ask that you not let it merely rest in pieces.