Greek recruitment begins on campus

Sorority and fraternity members are excited this week as orientation kicks off on campus in the Greek community.

Students who are interested in joining any of the several sororities or fraternities on campus will be participating in different activities and events this week as they acclimate themselves with current members.

This past weekend, Oakland’s sorority members held orientation in the Gold Rooms of the OC while the several fraternities represented themselves at a Greek Life Recruitment Fair in Fireside Lounge.

Sorority orientation included an introduction of sorority presidents as well as a brief fashion show of what to wear and what not to wear when attending future events.

The fraternity recruitment fair was set up to provide students with information about each fraternity as well as how to get involved.

John Bowker, advisor for Phi Sigma Kappa, said the number of potential new members for his fraternity has not risen astronomically, but the group has plans to participate in several more events this year, such as the upcoming blood drive that will be held in the Oakland Center on Tuesday, Sept. 28 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Danielle McBride, president of Sigma Gamma Rho, said she has not noticed a significant rise or fall in the number of applicants to join her non Pan-Hellenic sorority and that she expects roughly 10 new participants this year as the registration process is slightly different from other sororities on campus.

For the four Pan-Hellenic sororities at OU, Christopher Jensen, assistant director of student activities and Greek life, said there have been roughly 150 female students that have registered to join, which is slightly upward from previous years.  As for the fraternities, Jensen expects similar a similar number of applicants to previous years, estimating around 60 to 70 students.

Some of the upcoming events include:

-On Tuesday, Sept. 28 there will be an American Red Cross blood drive held from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the Oakland Center.

-The WOCOU 2010 Week of Champions will take place in the OC, Monday, Oct. 11 through Friday, Oct. 15 with free t-shirts, cake, and more!

-Make a Difference Day will be on Saturday, Oct. 23 in the Pontiac area.

To find out more about each sorority and fraternity or any of the upcoming events, visit the Greek community listing on Oakland’s website in the Center for Student Activities section.