Week of Champions at OU

Next week marks the beginning of the annual Week of Champions at Oakland University.

The Week of Champions runs from Monday, Oct. 11 until Friday, Oct. 15.

Center for Student Activities director Jean Ann Miller said that WOCOU is a spirit week that takes the place of homecoming, since OU does not have a football team.

“Part of it’s an introduction to the basketball season with the Grizz Madness, but it also is just a reflection of spirit, about people who are champions on this campus,” Miller said. “Everybody contributes something to this campus, so we’re just celebrating that fact.”

The week-long celebration kicks off with Matilda Wilson’s 127th Birthday Bash, which will be held from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Oct. 11. The Birthday Bash will feature JD’s dueling pianos, as well as free food and giveaways.

WOCOU culminates with OU Grizz Madness at 8 p.m. on Oct. 15. Grizz Madness is the kickoff party for the Men’s and Women’s basketball teams. Oct. 15 is the first day that college basketball teams are allowed to hold practices under NCAA rules.

This year’s Grizz Madness offers a lot more than just the chance to watch basketball practice.

“It’s like a big student, faculty, staff, alumni get-together to support the athletic department, because they’re a huge contribution to this campus and campus life,” Miller said.

At 8:30 p.m., there will be a block party in P-16 featuring free food, a DJ and performances by OU’s cheer and dance teams.

The pep rally for the athletic teams begins at 10 p.m. in the O’rena. At the pep rally, students can enter to win one of two tuition awards for the winter semester. Students must be present to win the awards.

At 11 p.m., the finals of the Grizz Gang and Buffalo Wild Wings Blazin’ Challenge will take place. The winner will receive a $100 gift card to Buffalo Wild Wings, and second place will receive $50.

Students can register for the contest from noon to 1 p.m. on Oct. 13 in the Oakland Center food court. The elimination round is scheduled to take place from noon to 1 p.m. on Oct 14. in the area between North and South Foundation Halls.

Miller said CSA will also be trying to start a new tradition on campus called “Guard the OU Sail” that is similar to the “Guard the Grizz” tradition for basketball homecoming.

Miller said she doesn’t want students to walk on the sail on the sidewalk in between North and South Foundation Halls during WOCOU.

“It’s like sacred ground,” Miller said. “We want students to start thinking about that, as to not walk on it.

“Other universities and colleges have this tradition, so we’re going to try and start it.”

Several student organizations are hosting WOCOU events as well.

The Student Program Board will be presenting Coming Out with the Real World, an interactive discussion panel on tolerance and LGBT culture which features three former cast members of MTV’s “The Real World.” The event will be held on Oct. 11, which is National Coming Out Day, from 7-9 p.m. at Meadow Brook Theatre.

SPB will also be hosting a talent show, “OU’s Got Talent,” which is scheduled to be held on Oct 12. From 8-11 p.m. at Meadow Brook Theatre. The winner will take home a grand prize valued at $1000. Information on how to audition can be found at the Student Program Board office, located in the basement of the OC.

The Gender and Sexuality Center will be hosting Women’s Wednesdays, an event aimed at dispelling the myths of lesbian, bisexual and transgender women, on Oct. 13 from noon to 1 p.m. in Fireside Lounge.

Several student organizations will also be hosting a presentation by guest speaker Justin Jones-Fosu about harnessing the power of healthy relationships on Oct. 13 from 7 -8 p.m. in the OC banquet rooms. The organizations sponsoring the event include CSA, the Association of Black Students, Athletics, Campus Recreation, Golden Key International Honor Society, Greek Life and University Housing.

All WOCOU events are free and open to all students. For a complete list of WOCOU events, visit the CSA website at http://www.oakland.edu/csa.