Q&A with Scott Kunselman: Walks with Campus Leaders

Scott Kunselman led the walk around campus on Thursday, June 9 as part of the Walks with Campus Leaders series. 

On June 9, Oakland University Chief Operating Office Scott Kunselman led a walk around campus as part of the Walks with Campus Leaders series.

The COO position was created and filled by the Board of Trustees in October 2015, amid concerns about the job’s description and lack of a national search. President George Hynd stated last year that the role of the COO is to handle leadership roles on campus.

Kunselman is also a former member of the Board of Trustees.

After leading his walk around campus, Kunselman shared thoughts via email about his role at the university, projects underway and hopes for the upcoming school year. 

When it comes to your role as chief operating officer, would you be able to provide a small summary of what you do?

Kunselman: My primary role is the leadership and coordination of the internal operations of the university. Specific groups I am responsible for are: Facilities, Human Resources, the Chief Information Officer and team (IT), the OUPD, Purchasing, Finance and Administration, Meadow Brook Estate and Golf.

What are some plans for the summer and upcoming year for which you are involved in?

Kunselman: Now is a busy and exciting time for OU! We are just finalizing our 2017 budget, bringing onboard our new CHRO [chief human resource officer], building out goals and metrics in support of the Strategic Plan, in full swing (pun intended) of golf season and weddings at Meadow Brook, underway on some awesome capital projects like South Housing and the OC renovation, and implementing many new items in IT and Purchasing to advance our technology!

You were selected to be a part of these walks with campus leaders, why do you believe they are important to our university?

Kunselman: I was thrilled to be asked to do one of these walks and would be happy to do more. First, I love to be outdoors and especially to take in the sights of this great campus with other employees and students.  It is a great way to remind us of the importance of physical activity to help balance our sometimes stressful lives and a great way to get to know people outside the typical work environment.

Did you plan your walk beforehand or just choose the route as you were walking?

Kunselman: I kind of planned my walk route as we went.  I guess I was still excited about the South Housing groundbreaking and wanted everyone to see and hear about that upcoming project. Also, I thought it was a great chance to take some people where they maybe had not been before, onto the lower fields and up the long wooden stairs.

How do you think that these walks can engage students and faculty not only in during the summer, but throughout the entire year?

Kunselman: I hope everyone can take advantage of these throughout the year, winter included! Just need the right gear – maybe we could even do one on snow shoes! As I said, the interaction is great and can help us continue to grow as a campus community and family.

What are you looking forward to most for this upcoming school year?

Kunselman: It is impossible to pick one thing, the anticipation of our growth in numbers, brand, infrastructure, and facilities that will hopefully leave a very positive and long-lasting impact on our community and state.

OU Rec Well’s Stephanie Willis coordinates the Walks with Campus Leaders series, which aims to get students and staff moving on their lunch breaks. Previous walks have been led by Jean Ann MillerDr. Alison Hynd and Housing residence directors

All Walks with Campus leaders gather at 12:00 p.m. at the Elliott Tower. 

An upcoming walk is scheduled for June 24 with Patricia Wren, program director of the Health Sciences and Applied Health Sciences Programs.