Advising launches redesigned website

Academic advising has launched a new website that offers comprehensive information and resources for all schools and departments.

The website is the result of six months of collaboration between advisers, professors and students.

The assistant dean of the nursing school, Pamela Marin, school of business advisor Kellie Klinck and Director of the Advising Resource Center Kim Schultz led the way for the development of the new site.

“Last summer the academic advising coordinators were pulled together as a group and everybody agreed that it would be great to have a comprehensive website that served students’ needs in academic advising, acting as a portal to the other related sites on campus,” Marin said.

They brought together a student focus group to find out exactly what students were looking for.

“We looked to get a good representation of students in different standings and different majors,” Schultz said. “We pulled from students that we already have a working relationship with that we felt would give us good, honest feedback.”

The students looked at the old website and worked together to decide the best way to update it.

“Before the new advising website, there wasn’t any easy to use, central place where students could find information about the individual advising office in each separate schools or college,” said Rachel Reardon, a senior French major and member of the student focus group.

One of the common problems that students faced was understanding how advising works and where to go for different services.

The new website addresses this problem by providing prominent headings on the main page regarding how to find your academic adviser, degree requirements  and frequently asked questions.

In December, they met with different departments on campus for an internal launch of the site, to gauge their reactions.

“The feedback that day was wonderful,” Marin said.

They will be holding a larger launch party for students on Feb. 7 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. outside the Fireside Lounge to officially introduce the new site and share what it has to offer.

The advising office has rented a Shutterbooth for the event so that students can get free pictures taken while they learn about the new site.

“All of the advising staff will be represented,” Marin said. “The Grizz and Clawzz will be there too for students who would like to have a picture with one of them.”

Visit the new academic advising website and utilize the tools that it has to offer at

oakland.edu/advising