Cultural Foundations and Historical Development of Rock Music Professor passes away at age of 59

Professor Ron DeRoo, a special lecturer at Oakland University, passed away unexpectedly Monday night. He was 59.

DeRoo taught Cultural Foundations and Historical Development of Rock Music, a course that was popular among many students. It was the only class he taught this semester.

Muriel Mader, administrative secretary for the music, theatre and dance department, confirmed his death to The Oakland Post on Tuesday.

DeRoo learned to play piano at the age of seven and had over 50 years of experience.

After graduating from Central Michigan University, DeRoo spent a year touring with his college pop-rock band, Freestyle, before coming to OU and receiving a Master’s of Music in classical piano with a focus in choral music, keyboard and jazz studies.

His rock music course had hit or exceeded capacity every semester it has been offered since 2000.

Students responded to the news on The Oakland Post’s website and Facebook page.

“Ron DeRoo was an extraordinary teacher who touched the lives of many, including my own,” Laura Harding said. “(I’m) saddened to hear of his death. Please keep the DeRoo family in your prayers as they mourn the loss of a husband, and a father. He will be missed.”

Previously, DeRoo was the music and choir director at Waterford Mott High School between 1985 and 2008.

It was there that he was discovered by the department’s chairman.

“Shocked at the news of DeRoo’s passing,” Tim Tottingham said. “DeRoo brought the best out of his students and its to him I thank for keeping music alive in schools … the music industry has taken a huge hit today. My heart is with his family today. DeRoo, you will be missed. Thank you for everything you did for me and music.”

Former students of DeRoo  gathered at the Applebee’s in Waterford Tuesday evening to raise money for flower arrangements and to sign a board that will be brought to the funeral home.

Update:

DeRoo’s funeral service will be held on Saturday at 3 p.m. at the Lewis E. Wint & Son Funeral Home in Clarkston. Friends may visit Friday from 6 until 8 p.m. and Saturday from 1 p.m. until the time of service. The funeral home is located on 5929 South Main St. in Clarkston, Mich.

Memorials may be made to the Charity Music of Michigan. People are also encouraged to write in his online guestbook.