Stamps leaves his mark

One student describes him as having a fantastic mind of information. Another describes his lectures as always engaging. He’s an international scholar with enough books in his office to cover any subject. He’s Richard Stamps, the soon-to-retire associate professor of anthropology and archaeology.

After Aug. 14, Oakland University students will no longer witness Stamps’ ability to take the art of lecture to another level.

Stamps teaches a number of classes at OU, including introduction to China, introduction to anthropology and introduction to archeology.

“I am an anthropologist who studies humans, but I am also an archaeologist who studies how humans lived in the past,” Stamps said.

He integrates his studies into his lectures and shares stories with his students about his prior and present experiences.

Stamps started his undergraduate education at a junior college in California and finished his bachelor’s and master’s degrees in anthropology and archaeology at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah.

Stamps grew up a Mormon Christian and when he turned 19, he traveled to Taiwan as a missionary.

He stayed there for two and a half years and said he fell love with Chinese culture, architecture, the people and  also learned to speak Chinese.

He later received his Ph.D. in anthropology and archaeology from Michigan State University.

Stamps was born in Oakland, Calif., and later moved to Oakdale, Calif., and then ended up working for OU.

“I hope one day to buy an Oakland Car,” Stamps said.

Stamps talks about a car created in the early 1900s by the Oakland Motor Car Company that was bought out by General Motors several years later.

“I could drive my car in the Woodward Dream Cruise, which is in Oakland County,” Stamps said.

Stamps went back to China while in graduate school, and stayed for eight months. His mission was digging for stones, bones and studying the ancient history of Taiwan.

He has also participated in several digs around the U.S. and currently participates in local digs.

Stamps serves on the Rochester Hills Historic District Commission, as well as the Oakland County Historical Commission, Pioneer and Historical Society.

“I’ve always been interested in history and old things,” he said.

During a typical class period, Stamps starts with announcements about the upcoming activities on campus — he encourages students to attend all school events. He emphasizes what he wants students to understand with his infamous sound effects.

Junao Zhao, a sophomore business major, describes Stamps as a fun, knowledgeable, far-from-boring professor who makes his lessons interesting.

Stamps considers himself fortunate and blessed to be able to teach people about the things he loves.

“I love watching the eyes of the students when they think ‘what’s he talking about, what’s that about’ and then they go ‘oh now I see,’” Stamps said.

“Professor Stamps is great. His passion for China really shines through in his teachings,” Ellen Glinski, a senior accounting major said. “Taking his Introduction to China course has been a great experience.”

Hang He, a freshman business major, said Stamps communicates with his Chinese students very well.

“The joy I receive from teaching and seeing the students come alive and make connections is priceless,” Stamps said.

John Stelman, an integrative studies major, said Stamps’ knowledge about Chinese history, culture and tradition is only surpassed by his desire to share his experiences with his students, and to pass along his passion and warmth into the history of Chinese culture.

OU students will no longer have the opportunity to learn from Stamps. With his teaching career soon coming to an end, Stamps wants to let students know that he relates to their challenges.

He was a first generation college student. During his first year in junior college, he didn’t know how to study and ended up on academic probation.

“I had to learn how to study and utilize study groups, I graduated with a ‘B’ average,” Stamps said.

His leaving advice: “Never give up.”

Contact Staff Intern Misha Mayhand via email at [email protected]