Provost Moudgil appointed to serve as president of Lawrence Technological University

Starting May 1, a familiar face will no longer be seen around campus.

Virinder Moudgil, senior vice president for academic affairs and Oakland University provost, has been selected to serve as president of Lawrence Technological University in Southfield, according to a press release issued by the university. He was approved by the LTU Board of Trustees at their Friday meeting.

Moudgil has worked at Oakland since 1976, and is known for his devotion to his research, often times working in the Dodge Hall labs with students for hours after dark.

As he transitions into his new job, Moudgil will be stepping down from all of his current positions at OU and has been granted an administration leave starting May 1.

“One simply cannot overstate the meaningful impact Dr. Moudgil has had both as a professor and as our chief academic officer,” University President Gary Russi said in an email to faculty. “We will face a great challenge in finding someone as insightful, accomplished and passionate to fill his position. At the same time, I’m confident that all who’ve come to know Dr. Moudgil will be pleased to see he has this opportunity to achieve even greater levels of success. Perhaps most importantly, students from throughout the region, the state and beyond will continue to benefit from his academic leadership.”

Russi asks students, faculty and anyone who has worked with Moudgil in his years at OU to use this form to commemorate his tenure and time at the university and said the university is planning to acknowledge him throughout the next few weeks.

He also said he plans to announce an Interim Provost later this week and is seeking nominations from faculty members.

The Oakland Post will continue to update this story as more information becomes available.